    --
    Ray
    SmithDRay Web Pages http://smithdray.net

    Ray, Oct 27, 2008

  2. Ray

    Graham Mayor Guest

    Unless Word encounters a crash condition the autorecovery files are closed
    with the document. If Word crashes, the ASD file is used to rebuild the
    document to the last save of the autorecovery file.

    If you have old ASD files stored then they are orphaned from a previous Word
    session and not related to the most recent document. If the files are not
    corrupt, you can open them by right clicking from Windows Explorer and
    selecting Open With ... You will get a message giving you the option to open
    with a program from a list. From that list pick Winword.exe.

    Note there is no autosave in Word. It only saves recovery information. See
    http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com

    Graham Mayor, Oct 28, 2008

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Thanks Graham, that helped a lot. I am now keeping a back up AND frequently
    saving files I am working on. I was one who thought (wrongly) that Word
    actually saved a copy in autorecovery. Live and learn, huh.

    Thanks again,

    Ray, Oct 29, 2008