Steven Cheng

I received an automation error upon opening my shared
workbook and it also indicated that there was a
catastrophic failure.

It is stopping any macros from starting, although I don't
have any macros triggering upon opening this file...very
strange.

Could someone help lend me some direction where I could
look to find where this problem is occuring.

I am running Excel XP however there are some users using
Excel 2000 and 97.

S

Steven Cheng

It doesn't seem that I have gotten responses about this
query. Is it the message that I have posted too confusing
OR is there something elementary that I am missing here?

G

Steven

Automation errors usually occur when a workbook is trying to run some macro that contains objects tha are not included in the references section of the VBA editor. One example that would produce this is having some controls on a form which require a specific DLL to be correctly registered on a client PC. If these DLLs are on your PC, the workbook is fine. Put this same workbook on another PC without the DLLs, and an automation error will occur. The DLL that has caused me the most problems is the one that holds the common controls like the button, textbox, and the like

Also, it has been my experience that Excel 97 has a variety of differences in VBA when compared to Excel 2000 and XP. A variety of command parameters for cell formatting were changed as an example. If you have developed this workbook on an XP box and then deployed it to and Excel 97 box, you might get automation errors

As for your workbook not having any code, there are various code procedures executed by default even when you just open a workbook. WorkBook.Open, Workbook.Activate and Auto_Open are a few

Hope this helps..

Terry

----- Steven Cheng wrote: ----

It doesn't seem that I have gotten responses about this
query. Is it the message that I have posted too confusing
OR is there something elementary that I am missing here

Ask a Question