Auto-Update!!

A

Arpan

I am working on Windows XP Professional & have Automatic Updates enabled. Of late, I find that though I can see the auto-update icon on the taskbar indicating that something is being downloaded, when I move the mouse over this icon, the "downloaded updates" percentage always shows 0% & it remains so (till I shut down my PC) & consequently neither am I shown the list of updates prior to putting off my system! The same thing again happens when I switch on my PC next time i.e. no updates are downloaded though the auto-update icon can be seen in the taskbar!

Does this, in anyway, mean that my machine isn't downloading any updates making it more vulnerable? If so, how do I overcome this problem & ensure that the appropriate updates get installed as & when necessary?

Thanks,

Arpan

G

auto-updates uses Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to throttle
the available bandwidth used to download updates in order to give more
bandwidth to say Outlook. Perhaps you are using something that is taking up
more of the bandwidth. Did you check http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to
see if there are any available updates?

G

in that case i recomend you to go to microsoft windows up date page directly
and ck for any up dates
on your home page(or any web page you are) click "TOOLS" then click
"WINDOWS UP DATE" then select "EXPRESS INSTALL" or "CUSTOM INSTALL" to
download any up dates you need.

A

Alex Nichol

Arpan said:
I am working on Windows XP Professional & have Automatic Updates enabled. Of late, I find that though I can see the auto-update icon on the taskbar indicating that something is being downloaded, when I move the mouse over this icon, the "downloaded updates" percentage always shows 0% & it remains so (till I shut down my PC) & consequently neither am I shown the list of updates prior to putting off my system! The same thing again happens when I switch on my PC next time i.e. no updates are downloaded though the auto-update icon can be seen in the taskbar!

If your machine has not been updated to SP2 this probably means that
auto update has set up the SP2 Download but it has not yet got very far
(it will be wanting to download anything up to 100MB or so). Probably
better to get in one of the free CDs of SP2 - order at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
or check out stock at Customer Services in Staples or similar. It is
also currently on some magazine cover CDs

Ask a Question