Auto Sign-in

G

George K

I have cross posted this query in hopes that someone has encountered a solution to this problem. Since installing MSN 7 last Spring and then removing it and reinstalling 6.2 the auto sign-in functions on both MSN 6.2 and Windows Messenger no longer work. The reason I dumped MSN 7 was because after the installation I could not get 7 to auto sign-in. After reinstalling 6.2 and then finding that it also refused to auto sign-in as it had previous done prior to the installation of 7, I have "repaired windows" and followed suggestions from posts for the last several months but have not been able to correct the problem.

On machine restart I can sign-in manually into each service at the same time, under an e-mail name and a passport name. In Control Panel >User Accounts both ID's show up. After restart, neither service will anto sign-in and if I do not sign-in manually and instead go directly to Control Panel >User Accounts, neither account is listed. I have believed for some time that when the initial 7 installation occured a change was made to the registry and it no longer retaines those accounts but I could not find a command to retain or delete account info.

Today I happened to make a change to the windows logon procedure and on restart instead of starting with "my profile", windows decided to start under the "administrator" profile. Not wanting to disrupt the logon procedure, I sat and waited for it to complete so I could switch to "my profile". To my suprise both MSN 6.2 and Windows Messenger 5.1 signed-in automatically, without my entering either usernames or passwords. The "administrator" profile had retained that info.

I searched the registry under current user as an "administrator" and then logged back on with "my profile" and searched the current user registry but was unable to find any differences which might have indicated why "administrator" retains the passport account info but "my profile" does not.

Any help would be appreciated.

As I review this post, I am considering how much work it would take to copy the "administrator" profile as a "new user", then duplicate the look and feel of "my profile" to the "new profile" and then delete "my profile" and rename "new user" to "my profile".
A lot of work.

W

...winston

George, I'm not an expert on MSN6/7, but a few questions to add to your post may help others answer with more informed information
1. Windows version ? 98SE, XP Home, XP Pro
2. Is your current profile set as an administrator account ?
3. Have you performed the usual tasks of deleting the all Msft and MSn related cookies(msn, passport, etc from the machine prior or after installing version 6.2) ?
4. If you create a new user profile with admin priviledge on your machine does it auto-sign ?
Finally,
5. How did Windows manage to start with the Admin profile vs your profile ? Did you change a setting in Windows or use e.g. TweakUI or similar third party software to force the admin logon.

As far as copying a profile maybe these links will help
http://www.petri.co.il/copy_user_profiles_in_windows_xp.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314478

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=copy+windows+profile

...winston

I have cross posted this query in hopes that someone has encountered a solution to this problem. Since installing MSN 7 last Spring and then removing it and reinstalling 6.2 the auto sign-in functions on both MSN 6.2 and Windows Messenger no longer work. The reason I dumped MSN 7 was because after the installation I could not get 7 to auto sign-in. After reinstalling 6.2 and then finding that it also refused to auto sign-in as it had previous done prior to the installation of 7, I have "repaired windows" and followed suggestions from posts for the last several months but have not been able to correct the problem.

On machine restart I can sign-in manually into each service at the same time, under an e-mail name and a passport name. In Control Panel >User Accounts both ID's show up. After restart, neither service will anto sign-in and if I do not sign-in manually and instead go directly to Control Panel >User Accounts, neither account is listed. I have believed for some time that when the initial 7 installation occured a change was made to the registry and it no longer retaines those accounts but I could not find a command to retain or delete account info.

Today I happened to make a change to the windows logon procedure and on restart instead of starting with "my profile", windows decided to start under the "administrator" profile. Not wanting to disrupt the logon procedure, I sat and waited for it to complete so I could switch to "my profile". To my suprise both MSN 6.2 and Windows Messenger 5.1 signed-in automatically, without my entering either usernames or passwords. The "administrator" profile had retained that info.

I searched the registry under current user as an "administrator" and then logged back on with "my profile" and searched the current user registry but was unable to find any differences which might have indicated why "administrator" retains the passport account info but "my profile" does not.

As I review this post, I am considering how much work it would take to copy the "administrator" profile as a "new user", then duplicate the look and feel of "my profile" to the "new profile" and then delete "my profile" and rename "new user" to "my profile".
A lot of work.

G

George K

....winston

Thanks for the reply.

1. Win XP Pro, SP2, homemade P4 640, 1GB.

2. Current profile "my profile" is an administrator account.

3. Following installation of MSN 7 last Spring, (don't remember which version) neither 7 or Win. Messenger would auto sign-in. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times, removing cookies and deleting Temp Internet Files each time. I also deleted files referring to 7 and Messenger in Doc&Set >Administrator, >All Users, >My Profile and Default User. Guest Account is disabled. Finally after several attempts I uninstalled 7 and reinstalled 6.2 following the same procedures. At that point 6.2 would no longer auto sign-in either. I uninstalled both MSN 6.2 and Messenger deleted all references I could find in the D&S folder and sub-folders and reinstalled both. Each time I reinstalled either program the necessary folders reconstituted themselves. When these programs load and ask for the e-mail address neither of my addresses show up.

4. I did create a "new profile" this morning and then immediately shutdown and restarted and when I did and selected that profile 6.2 auto signed-in with my hotmail account and Messenger asked if I wanted to sign-in. When I hit the scroll arrow next to the e-mail address my ISP e-mail address was also listed. I shutdown and restarted several times with similar results. HOWEVER, previous to the installation of 7.0, MSN 6.2 always signed-in with my ISP e-mail address and Messenger always signed-in with my hotmail address. This morning, MSN always signed-in first, using the e-mail address I used to sign-in to Messenger. If I signed-in to Messenger the last time with hotmail, MSN would sign-in the next time with that hotmail address. But the important issue is that one now auto signs-in and that both programs remember both addresses anter restart.

5. I had used Control Panel >User Accounts >Change the Way Users Log0n >Select - User Welcome Screen. On restart I clicked logon while realizing that "administrator" was selected as the profile. After restart again I selected "my profile" then went back and deselected Use Welcome Screen. I don't use a password since I am the only one who uses the machine (my wife has one of those store bought notebooks loaned to her by her school system), and since I keep all of the passwords and nuclear launch codes on a 3.5" disk hidden in the vegetable drawer in the refrigator, Windows will startup with "my profile' as default without the welcome screen.

I don't know if any of the information will be of help. It is annoying that I can't solve the problem. Barring that, I will try to copy "My System Settings" from "my profile" to the "new profile" to see if I can duplicate the "look and feel" of one profile to another.

Thanks in advance for any help.
George, I'm not an expert on MSN6/7, but a few questions to add to your post may help others answer with more informed information
1. Windows version ? 98SE, XP Home, XP Pro
2. Is your current profile set as an administrator account ?
3. Have you performed the usual tasks of deleting the all Msft and MSn related cookies(msn, passport, etc from the machine prior or after installing version 6.2) ?
4. If you create a new user profile with admin priviledge on your machine does it auto-sign ?
Finally,
5. How did Windows manage to start with the Admin profile vs your profile ? Did you change a setting in Windows or use e.g. TweakUI or similar third party software to force the admin logon.

As far as copying a profile maybe these links will help
http://www.petri.co.il/copy_user_profiles_in_windows_xp.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314478

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=copy+windows+profile

...winston

A lot of work.

Ask a Question