Auto proxy configuration problem

we´ve configured our environment to autodetect proxy configuration recently.
This is done two ways.

1. DHCP option 252. Pointing to a load balanced UNC path
(file://\\UNC\PACFILE).
2. "Use automatic configuration script" option is set to the same UNC path.

Both options ("Automatically detect settings" & "Use automatic configuration
script") are activated via GPO. Either on its own or both together works fine
for 95% of the users (Win2k, WinXP, Vista, IE6/7) but on some machines it
just wont work sporadically. When opening IE i can see that a network
connection is made to the location where the pac file is but IE immediately
tries to connect directly. as soon as the connection is configured for static
proxy everything works fine.

I´m not sure what causes this and i´m not sure how to troubleshoot it best.
Any ideas?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, because the issue only occurs on several clients (different
IE and OS), it is hard for us to determine what the root cause is. You may
try the following methods to see if you can find any errors:

Method 1
===========
Based on the current situation, please help me confirm the RSOP result on
DC is the same as client. Therefore, please follow these steps to run RSOP
on Domain Controller to verify it.

Run an RSoP Query on a Computer Account:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and
then double-click Active Directory Users and Computers.
2. In the console tree, expand Domain (where Domain is the domain in which
the computer account on which you want to run RSoP exists), and then expand
Computers.
3. Right-click the computer account on which you want to run RSoP, point to
All Tasks, and then click Resultant Set of Policy (Logging) or Resultant
Set of Policy (Planning).

323276: How To Install and Use RSoP in Windows Server 2003
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323276>

Method 2
===========
Check the Event Viewer on the problematic clients to see if you can find
any GPO process related errors logged.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RC5TLg==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Auto proxy configuration problem
| Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 04:34:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| Hi,
|
| we´ve configured our environment to autodetect proxy configuration
recently.
| This is done two ways.
|
| 1. DHCP option 252. Pointing to a load balanced UNC path
| (file://\\UNC\PACFILE).
| 2. "Use automatic configuration script" option is set to the same UNC
path.

| Both options ("Automatically detect settings" & "Use automatic
configuration
| script") are activated via GPO. Either on its own or both together works
fine
| for 95% of the users (Win2k, WinXP, Vista, IE6/7) but on some machines it
| just wont work sporadically. When opening IE i can see that a network
| connection is made to the location where the pac file is but IE
immediately
| tries to connect directly. as soon as the connection is configured for
static
| proxy everything works fine.
|
| I´m not sure what causes this and i´m not sure how to troubleshoot it
best.
| Any ideas?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:14:39 GMT
| Subject: RE: Auto proxy configuration problem
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| Hello,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| From your post, because the issue only occurs on several clients
(different
| IE and OS), it is hard for us to determine what the root cause is. You
may
| try the following methods to see if you can find any errors:
|
| Method 1
| ===========
| Based on the current situation, please help me confirm the RSOP result on
| DC is the same as client. Therefore, please follow these steps to run
RSOP
| on Domain Controller to verify it.
|
| Run an RSoP Query on a Computer Account:
|
| 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools,
and
| then double-click Active Directory Users and Computers.
| 2. In the console tree, expand Domain (where Domain is the domain in
which
| the computer account on which you want to run RSoP exists), and then
expand
| Computers.
| 3. Right-click the computer account on which you want to run RSoP, point
| All Tasks, and then click Resultant Set of Policy (Logging) or Resultant
| Set of Policy (Planning).
|
| 323276: How To Install and Use RSoP in Windows Server 2003
| <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323276>
|
| Method 2
| ===========
| Check the Event Viewer on the problematic clients to see if you can find
| any GPO process related errors logged.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?RC5TLg==?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Auto proxy configuration problem
| | Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 04:34:02 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | we´ve configured our environment to autodetect proxy configuration
| recently.
| | This is done two ways.
| |
| | 1. DHCP option 252. Pointing to a load balanced UNC path
| | (file://\\UNC\PACFILE).
| | 2. "Use automatic configuration script" option is set to the same UNC
| path.
| |
| | Both options ("Automatically detect settings" & "Use automatic
| configuration
| | script") are activated via GPO. Either on its own or both together
works
| fine
| | for 95% of the users (Win2k, WinXP, Vista, IE6/7) but on some machines
it
| | just wont work sporadically. When opening IE i can see that a network
| | connection is made to the location where the pac file is but IE
| immediately
| | tries to connect directly. as soon as the connection is configured for
| static
| | proxy everything works fine.
| |
| | I´m not sure what causes this and i´m not sure how to troubleshoot it
| best.
| | Any ideas?
| |
| |

thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay.

I can confirm that the GPO is not the problem. The settings defined in the
GPO are applied ok. The problem is that the PAC file doesnt seem to configure
IE on some workstations. This is not GPO related but IE and/or PAC related.

Regards

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| All Tasks, and then click Resultant Set of Policy (Logging) or Resultant
| Set of Policy (Planning).
|
| 323276: How To Install and Use RSoP in Windows Server 2003
| <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323276>
|
| Method 2
| ===========
| Check the Event Viewer on the problematic clients to see if you can find
| any GPO process related errors logged.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| |
| | we´ve configured our environment to autodetect proxy configuration
| recently.
| | This is done two ways.
| |
| | 1. DHCP option 252. Pointing to a load balanced UNC path
| | (file://\\UNC\PACFILE).
| | 2. "Use automatic configuration script" option is set to the same UNC
| path.
| |
| | Both options ("Automatically detect settings" & "Use automatic
| configuration
| | script") are activated via GPO. Either on its own or both together
works
| fine
| | for 95% of the users (Win2k, WinXP, Vista, IE6/7) but on some machines
it
| | just wont work sporadically. When opening IE i can see that a network
| | connection is made to the location where the pac file is but IE
| immediately
| | tries to connect directly. as soon as the connection is configured for
| static
| | proxy everything works fine.
| |
| | I´m not sure what causes this and i´m not sure how to troubleshoot it
| best.
| | Any ideas?
| |
| |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Please first refer to the following articles to see if they can help:
884430: Your home page is assigned to the incorrect security zone if
Internet Explorer uses a proxy auto-configuration (.pac) file to specify
proxy settings
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884430/en-us

271361: How to disable automatic proxy caching in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271361/en-us

If the problem persists, I will suggest you reset IE to the defaults by
following these articles:
923737: How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us

936213: How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

For IE6:
1. Delete the cookies
1) Click Start, click Search and click For Files or Folders
2) Type "Cookies" (without the quotation marks) and click Search Now
3) Delete files in the cookie directory

2. Delete all the temporary files
1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click Delete Files button in the
General tab

3. Delete the downloaded objects
1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click settings button in the
General tab.
3) Press View Objects.
4) Remove all the Objects there.

4. Remove the Plug-Ins in Internet Explorer
1) Close all the Internet Explorer windows.
2) Open a Windows Explorer window by right Click My Computer and choose
Explore.
3) Locate the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS
4) Remove all the files in this folder.
Note: You may also move them to another folder.

5. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder
1) Stop Automatic Updates service.
a. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc.
b. In the right pane, stop the Automatic Updates service.
2) Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
3) Test the issue again.

6. Reset all settings of Internet Explorer
1) Under the General tab, click Clear history button.
2) Under the Security tab, click Default Level button.
3) Under the Content tab. Under Content Advisor the button default is
"Enable..."
Click on "Clear SSL" under Certificates, and click on "OK."
4) Under "Local Area Network (LAN) settings" click on the "LAN Settings..."
button - remove all checkmarks and settings unless actually required to use
a proxy and close the window
5) Under the Programs tab, click Reset Web Settings.
6) Under the Advanced tab, click Restore Defaults button.
Under Browsing put a checkmark into or remove the checkmark from "Enable
third-party browser extensions (requires restart)".
7) Click on "Apply", then "OK"
8) Close Internet Explorer and restart the computer.

7. Disable all third party Add-ons
1) Open Internet Explorer.
2) Click Tools to select Manage Add-ons.
3) Disable all third party Add-ons.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RC5TLg==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Auto proxy configuration problem
| Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:16:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| Hi,
|
| thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay.
|
| I can confirm that the GPO is not the problem. The settings defined in
the
| GPO are applied ok. The problem is that the PAC file doesnt seem to
configure
| IE on some workstations. This is not GPO related but IE and/or PAC
related.

| Regards
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi,
| >
| > I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
updates
| > or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let
me
| > know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| > | Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:14:39 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Auto proxy configuration problem
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| > | From your post, because the issue only occurs on several clients
| > (different
| > | IE and OS), it is hard for us to determine what the root cause is.
You
| > may
| > | try the following methods to see if you can find any errors:
| > |
| > | Method 1
| > | ===========
| > | Based on the current situation, please help me confirm the RSOP
result on
| > | DC is the same as client. Therefore, please follow these steps to run
| > RSOP
| > | on Domain Controller to verify it.
| > |
| > | Run an RSoP Query on a Computer Account:
| > |
| > | 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative
Tools,
| > and
| > | then double-click Active Directory Users and Computers.
| > | 2. In the console tree, expand Domain (where Domain is the domain in
| > which
| > | the computer account on which you want to run RSoP exists), and then
| > expand
| > | Computers.
| > | 3. Right-click the computer account on which you want to run RSoP,
point
| > | All Tasks, and then click Resultant Set of Policy (Logging) or
Resultant
| > | Set of Policy (Planning).
| > |
| > | 323276: How To Install and Use RSoP in Windows Server 2003
| > | <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323276>
| > |
| > | Method 2
| > | ===========
| > | Check the Event Viewer on the problematic clients to see if you can
find
| > | any GPO process related errors logged.
| > |
| > | Thanks & Regards,
| > |
| > | Ken Zhao
| > |
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > | Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > |
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > | ====================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | ====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
| > | |
| > | recently.
| > | |
UNC
| > | path.
| > | |
| > | configuration
| > works
| > | fine
| > it
| > | immediately
| > | static
| > | |
| > | best.
| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

> [...]

| 6) Under the Advanced tab, click Restore Defaults button.
| Under Browsing put a checkmark into or remove the checkmark from "Enable
| third-party browser extensions (requires restart)".
| 7) Click on "Apply", then "OK"
| 8) Close Internet Explorer and restart the computer.
|
| 7. Disable all third party Add-ons
| 1) Open Internet Explorer.
| 2) Click Tools to select Manage Add-ons.
| 3) Disable all third party Add-ons.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| |
| | thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay.
| |
| | I can confirm that the GPO is not the problem. The settings defined in
| the
| | GPO are applied ok. The problem is that the PAC file doesnt seem to
| configure
| | IE on some workstations. This is not GPO related but IE and/or PAC
| related.
| |
| | Regards
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hi,
| | >
| | > I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
| updates
| | > or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let
| me
| | > know.
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| | > (different
| You