auto number field in a table

I currently have a table that has data in it. I would
like to add an auto number field. Every time I add the
field, make the datatype auto number the numbering will
not start at 1. I have set the field properties New
Values to increment. Does anyone have any tips on how to
handle this problem.

Eric Butts [MSFT]

Hi,

Take a look at the knowledge base article

Reset an AutoNumber Field Value in Access
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812718

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support
(e-mail address removed)
"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: auto number field in a table
| Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 07:25:13 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.tablesdbdesign
|
| I currently have a table that has data in it. I would
| like to add an auto number field. Every time I add the
| field, make the datatype auto number the numbering will
| not start at 1. I have set the field properties New
| Values to increment. Does anyone have any tips on how to
| handle this problem.

Tim Ferguson

I currently have a table that has data in it. I would
like to add an auto number field.

Create a new empty table with all the fields in it plus the new autonumber
column. Append the old table into it.

Every time I add the
field, make the datatype auto number the numbering will
not start at 1.

"If you care what value an Autonumber has, then you probably should not be
using an Autonumber"

HTH

Tim F