audio field in Access

G

Is it possible to create an audio field in Access 2003?
In the field types drop down, there appears to be no facility for this.
Ideally I would like to have a field type audio so that when entering data
on a form, when I get to the audio field, I could record a message in that
field.
Any help would be appreciated

S

Scott McDaniel

Is it possible to create an audio field in Access 2003?
In the field types drop down, there appears to be no facility for this.
Ideally I would like to have a field type audio so that when entering data
on a form, when I get to the audio field, I could record a message in that
field.

No, you can't create new field types in Access. You could possibly store your audio data in an OLE Object field, but
generally this is not a good idea, as it can cause bloat and corruption. In most cases, if you need to store this type
of info, you'd store the file in a standard folder, then store the full path to that file. In your project, you'd then
use Shell or a Hyperlink to play/load that file. Assuming the computer has a program associated with the file extension
(i.e. if you save it as a .wmv file, then the machine would need to have a program associated with that extension) then
either Shell or a hyperlink should load the application and play the file. I'm sure there are also ActiveX control that
would allow you to record/play audio data directly in your Project (still storing them externally, of course) but I
don't know of a examples of this. If you're interested in something like this, search for "ms access play audio" or
something, and see what comes up. Note that if you DO use a 3rd party ActiveX control, make sure the developer has
verified that is works in the Access environment; not all ActiveX controls do, and if you purchase one that is not
verified then often the developer will not provide support.
Any help would be appreciated

Scott McDaniel
scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com
www.infotrakker.com

P

Pete

You can create a function to use the windows sound recorder and then just
save the file location in the data file. I played with this for my police
scanner but recorder was to slow to starting to capture the calls, as a note
attachment it would be fine. See;
ACC2000: How to Record and Play Sounds from Microsoft Access
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210067/en-us

Pete

G

Pete
Many thanks I shall give that a go
Cheers

Pete said:
You can create a function to use the windows sound recorder and then just
save the file location in the data file. I played with this for my police
scanner but recorder was to slow to starting to capture the calls, as a note
attachment it would be fine. See;
ACC2000: How to Record and Play Sounds from Microsoft Access
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210067/en-us

Pete

G

Scott
Many thanks for that
Cheers

Scott McDaniel said:
No, you can't create new field types in Access. You could possibly store your audio data in an OLE Object field, but
generally this is not a good idea, as it can cause bloat and corruption. In most cases, if you need to store this type
of info, you'd store the file in a standard folder, then store the full path to that file. In your project, you'd then
use Shell or a Hyperlink to play/load that file. Assuming the computer has a program associated with the file extension
(i.e. if you save it as a .wmv file, then the machine would need to have a program associated with that extension) then
either Shell or a hyperlink should load the application and play the file. I'm sure there are also ActiveX control that
would allow you to record/play audio data directly in your Project (still storing them externally, of course) but I
don't know of a examples of this. If you're interested in something like this, search for "ms access play audio" or
something, and see what comes up. Note that if you DO use a 3rd party ActiveX control, make sure the developer has
verified that is works in the Access environment; not all ActiveX controls do, and if you purchase one that is not
verified then often the developer will not provide support.

Scott McDaniel
scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com
www.infotrakker.com

Ask a Question