Audigy2 problem - card works but is not detected

Someone

Hello all - wondering if you could provide some assistance.

I used to have a SB AWE64 Value card in my dual processor machine, which I
upgraded to an SB Audigy2 for the IEEE1394 functionality and also to be able
to send and receive audio simultaneously.

I have installed the card without problems, and pointed Windows to the
appropriate directory on the CD which had the drivers already expanded. I
can now hear and transmit sound without a problem.

HOWEVER - I am totally unable to :

1) Use their ActiveX control to install updated drivers
2) Load updated drivers from Creative's website as a download
3) Install the associated applications which came with the sound card on the
CD

When I try to do point 1, I get an error stating that the ActiveX control
hasn't detected any appropriate devices.

When I try to do points 2 and 3, I get a really weird error message which I
haven't seen before :
---
"Unhandled exception"
Error Number:0x80028018

Setup will now terminate
---

Device Manager has no conflicts present at all - and as I've stated
previously the sound card works in all respects.

I've approached Creative for support, and it's got to the point where they
want me to either try the card in anothe rmachine (which I don't have) or
re-install Windows (even though everything else is working fine) - so a bit
of a dead end there. I've also tried searching on Microsoft's Knowledgebase
without success.

Anybody experienced such problems or can suggest anything to try ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Buddy

did you remove the old driver before you installed the
audigy card? the system might still be seeing the
registry entries for the awe card and not seeing the
audigy entries. At least that is what it sounds like to
me.

Someone

Seaver - thanks for responding - a response direct from Microsoft wasn't
what I was expecting !

Thanks - However unfortunately I tried what you suggested and it didn't
work - within the Sound, Video and Game Controllers category I have the
following items :

-> Audio Codecs
-> Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
-> Creative Game Port
-> Legacy Audio Drivers
-> Legacy Video Capture Devices
-> Media Control Devices
-> Video Codecs

If I opt to show hidden devices from the View menu of Device Manager I can
see two additional items :

-> Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device
-> Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver

What I did was to uninstall the "Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)" and
also "Creative Game Port" devices only, as the other options in the first
list did NOT have an uninstall functionality. Upon reboot unknown devices
were listed in Device Manager - I tried both downloading the drivers, and
also the ActiveX control (having deleted the contents of the objects folder)
and got the old error back - in the case of installing the driver I got

---
"Unhandled exception"
Error Number:0x80028018

Setup will now terminate
---

and in the case of the ActiveX control I got the "No Creative Products
found"

I then tried removing "Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)", "Creative
Game Port", "Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device" and
"Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver" and rebooted with the same
results as above.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Someone

Just a quick note to say I haven't forgotten about this - just been a bit
busy past few days ...

Thanks again for responding

Someone

Hi Seaver - I have followed the instructions listed below and the problem is
still happening - I have emailed a screenshot of the error message I am
getting.

Could you please confirm whether you have received this.

Thanks

Seaver

Dear Customer,

I am sorry that the attachment did not arrive as expected. Could you please
confirm that it's sent to mailto:[email protected]? I appreciate your
time, thanks.

Regards,

Seaver

Seaver