attempted memory upgrade

Tim Cole

Compaq Armada M700 Laptop with 128mb ram and winXP Home
I bought 2 - 256mb cards marked Toshiba that I thought would fit in this
Compaq laptop. Upon bootup the correct memory size was recorded and I
confirmed that I wanted the new storage recognized (F-1). Then I got the
message that my pci.sys file was missing or corrupt and WindowsXP could not
start. Returning to the previous cards allowed me to reboot normally.
My question is why would it recognize the correct memory size for the
Toshiba cards if the cards were incompatible?

Shenan Stanley

Tim said:
Compaq Armada M700 Laptop with 128mb ram and winXP Home
I bought 2 - 256mb cards marked Toshiba that I thought would fit in
this Compaq laptop. Upon bootup the correct memory size was
recorded and I confirmed that I wanted the new storage recognized
(F-1). Then I got the message that my pci.sys file was missing or
corrupt and WindowsXP could not start. Returning to the previous
cards allowed me to reboot normally. My question is why would it recognize
the correct memory size for
the Toshiba cards if the cards were incompatible?

It could just be defective memory...
Being recognized and being usable are two different things.

These are "PC100 100Mhz 16x8 16Chips 144Pin SODIMM SDRAM Memory"?

neil

Have you tried just using one module.?? If that works then remove the first
module and fit the second module. Did you check & buy the memory type
recommended for you laptop.

Neil

Bruce Chambers

Tim said:
Compaq Armada M700 Laptop with 128mb ram and winXP Home
I bought 2 - 256mb cards marked Toshiba that I thought would fit in this
Compaq laptop. Upon bootup the correct memory size was recorded and I
confirmed that I wanted the new storage recognized (F-1). Then I got the
message that my pci.sys file was missing or corrupt and WindowsXP could not
start. Returning to the previous cards allowed me to reboot normally.
My question is why would it recognize the correct memory size for the
Toshiba cards if the cards were incompatible?

Because the POST (Power on Self Test) process only enumerates (counts)
the memory chips' capacity; it doesn't test them for functionality or
compatibility.

It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

DatabaseBen

because your motherboard bios/cmos recognized them
however, they were incompatible with your cpu....

James Silverton

Hello, Mike!
You wrote on Sun, 8 Oct 2006 10:10:37 -0400:

MHM> http://www.kingston.com/

MHM> --
MHM> Mike Hall
MHM> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

MHM> message ??>> Compaq Armada M700 Laptop with 128mb ram and winXP Home
??>> I bought 2 - 256mb cards marked Toshiba that I thought
??>> would fit in this Compaq laptop. Upon bootup the correct
??>> memory size was recorded and I confirmed that I wanted the
??>> new storage recognized (F-1). Then I got the message that
??>> my pci.sys file was missing or corrupt and WindowsXP could
??>> not start. Returning to the previous cards allowed me to
??>> reboot normally. My question is why would it recognize the
??>> correct memory size for the Toshiba cards if the cards
??>> were incompatible?
??>>
??>> --
??>> ----------------------------------------------------------
??>> J. Timothy Cole
??>> (e-mail address removed)
??>> http://www.colescorner.com
??>> ----------------------------------------------------------

Are you adding to ROM? Are you perhaps mixing 256MHz and 333MHz
cards?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Patrick Keenan

Tim Cole said:
Compaq Armada M700 Laptop with 128mb ram and winXP Home
I bought 2 - 256mb cards marked Toshiba that I thought would fit in this
Compaq laptop. Upon bootup the correct memory size was recorded and I
confirmed that I wanted the new storage recognized (F-1). Then I got the
message that my pci.sys file was missing or corrupt and WindowsXP could
not start. Returning to the previous cards allowed me to reboot normally.
My question is why would it recognize the correct memory size for the
Toshiba cards if the cards were incompatible?

Because, unfortunately, the POST doesn't test for compatibility. You'll
almost certainly need to return that memory and get memory known to work
with your model laptop.

HTH
-pk

Yves Leclerc

Laptop memory slicks are extremely difficult to change. Each manufacturer all
demand unique specs for the RAM. Most BIOSes will count the memory as good.
However, this is a little assurance since the POST (Power On Self Test) does
not test the memory.

You need to check with Compaq (now HP) to make sure you have the correct
memory modules. Or check on name-brand memory maker web sites (Kingston is
one) to see what type os memory your laptop needs.