attacks on local port 1025

G

I use XP Home and noticed on several occasions attacks on local port 1025. On this port svchost.exe is listening (TCP). These attackers manage somehow to establish an incoming connection on this port using PASV FTP. Luckely I deny inbound traffic for svchost.exe if it's using PASV FTP. In my firewall log I can see these attackers have rather exotic ip's as 220.168.167.245 (CHINANET HUNAN PROVINCE NETWORK) and 219.145.23.169 (CHINANET SHANXI PROVINCE NETWORK). I suggest if someone notices similar inbound traffic on local port 1025 to report it here. It could be that there's someone outthere exploiting a system vulnurability.

J

JimBob

I'm not familiar with PASV FTP but I do know that using XP and a dial up ISP
port 1025 will show listening and is required to be able to connect to the
Internet.

dlc said:
Yes, that is the exact reason why I am researching and readign this board.
Which by the way is a wealth of knowledge. Yes, port Generic Host services
is listening on port 1025, 3031 and 3032. I have seen this in Zone Alarm for
a week now. I do not know what to do about it. I do not see any FTP but I do
see alot of srvhost processes using random ports and also msmger. I
installed a program called active ports and it gives you realtime port
connections. It also allows you to terminate them. Which when I do, I just
see those processes come back under another port . I am perplexed !1025. On this port svchost.exe is listening (TCP). These attackers manage
somehow to establish an incoming connection on this port using PASV FTP.
Luckely I deny inbound traffic for svchost.exe if it's using PASV FTP. In my
firewall log I can see these attackers have rather exotic ip's as
220.168.167.245 (CHINANET HUNAN PROVINCE NETWORK) and 219.145.23.169
(CHINANET SHANXI PROVINCE NETWORK). I suggest if someone notices similar
inbound traffic on local port 1025 to report it here. It could be that
there's someone outthere exploiting a system vulnurability.

G

Yes, that is the exact reason why I am researching and readign this board. Which by the way is a wealth of knowledge. Yes, port Generic Host services is listening on port 1025, 3031 and 3032. I have seen this in Zone Alarm for a week now. I do not know what to do about it. I do not see any FTP but I do see alot of srvhost processes using random ports and also msmger. I installed a program called active ports and it gives you realtime port connections. It also allows you to terminate them. Which when I do, I just see those processes come back under another port . I am perplexed !

Ask a Question