Attachments - Missing!!

craigmsimpson

Hi,

I've tried looking for an answer but I'm admitting defeat and will ask
the Experts.

We have an external contact who sends a message to 6 employees in our
company.
One of them doesn't receive the attached PDF file, the other 5 do.
All are running Outlook 2003.
I can't find any differences with their settings.
I've downloaded and installed AOSETUP.EXE from Slovak, but PDF doesn't
appear as a 'blocked' file type.
Message size doesn't indicate any attachment, but within the headers it
does indicate a winmail.dat attached file. (see below)

If I'm missing something obvious then please call me 'stupid'

Please help me look efficient.

Thanks
Craig

HEADERS INCLUDED
Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
From: "EXTERNAL SOURCE" <[email protected]>
To: "My Company User 1" <[email protected]>,
"My Company User 2" <[email protected]>,
"My Company User 3" <[email protected]>,
"My Company User 4" <[email protected]>,
"My Company User 5" <[email protected]>,
"My Company User 6" <[email protected]>
Subject: Reference
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:24:49 +0700

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C6F1D6.7E2CD300

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C6F1D6.7E2CD300

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C6F1D6.7E2CD300--

neo [mvp outlook]

Hmm... for this one user, do they have Outlook set to read all standard
email in plain text? (See Tools > Options > Prefs. tab > Email Options.)

neo [mvp outlook]

One other question popped into my head, does this user see the attachment in
OWA?

craigmsimpson

Hi Neo,

The User (Karen) doesn't access her account from out of the office, so
without testing this once I leave the office, can't tell you whether
they appear in OWA.
Karen's setting on our Exchange 2003 server are the same as the other
recipients, her settings in Outlook 2003 look the same as the other
recipients.

She is not set to 'read all standard mail in plain text'

I'm still clutching at straws.

I'll check OWA tonight (can't access from inside our firewall) and will
give a further update tomorrow.

Regards
Craig

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:24:49 +0700

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C6F1D6.7E2CD300

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C6F1D6.7E2CD300

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C6F1D6.7E2CD300--

craigmsimpson

I checked Outlook Web Access and the attachments still don't appear.
As this seems to be a server based rule that is stopping the
attachments from being displayed, I shall add the specific sender
(because it only happens with attachments from this sender) to this
users Safe List.
I'm quickly running out of ideas, if anyone can come up with something
else I'd appreciate any input.

Cheers
Craig

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:24:49 +0700

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C6F1D6.7E2CD300

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C6F1D6.7E2CD300

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C6F1D6.7E2CD300--

neo [mvp outlook]

If the pdf attachment exists, it will be in the winmail.dat. The reason why
is that whenever one sees winmail.dat it indicates that the file was sent in
Rich Text format and that is where all the text formatting, color,
attachments, .etc go (think of it like an encapsulated word document).

About the only way I can think of getting at the winmail.dat is to try
pop'ing or imap connection to Exchange and use something like fentun
(www.fentun.com).

Only other thing I could think of is look for configuration differences
between computers. (e.g. client side antivirus, firewall, .etc that can scan
email. maybe something ripped the attachment w/out user/you knowing about
it.)

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:24:49 +0700