ATi X1800XT 512Meg spotted at Newegg @ $599...........

First of One

I got a 9800Pro (overclocked 10%) and I need to run Quake 4 at 800x600 no AA
to get smooth framerates. A more comfortable resolution like 1280x1024, with
4x AA, would require 12 times the fillrate. So a X1800XT would definitely
help. It is always possible to bring a video card to its knees...

Paul Goodhew

John Lewis wrote in message said:
You mean of course the Xbox360..........wrong......... the Xbox360 GPU
is a R520-style clocking at X1800XL rate... 500MHz. Plus there is
going to be a very interesting shortage of decent software choices for
quite a while --- unless you like EA Sports. And at $299, you will not
be able to play any original Xbox games on it either - you need the
hard-disk to store the Xbox 'emulation profiles'. Hope that you have
at least a year's full- replacement warranty. And remember to keep ALL
the ventilation holes clear and always free of lint and dust.

Be very, very glad that you are not one of the rich dummies that went
for any of the big games-bundles. They are going to be really pi**ed
when they open the box and a bunch of redeemable coupons flutter out,
or they get the dreaded Gamestop or EB notifications:--

" GameStop.com reserves the right to substitute any given game in a
bundle if that game becomes unavailable at launch. If this occurs, you
will be notified and given the option of canceling your order before
launch. "

EB:-

"In the unlikely event we need to modify the software or accessory
selections, we will notify you at least 48 hours in advance, giving
you an opportunity to cancel. "

.... canceling the order means canceling the WHOLE order. Gamestop
doesn't care, they'll just rebundle (or unbundle) the Xbox360 and ship
it to the next sucker in the shortage queue. Puppets on a
supply-shortage string. The Xbox360 is on a strict first-come first
serve allocation, and the shortfall on advance orders is now expected
to be around 1 million units missing pre-Christmas delivery. The Ebay
parasites will have a great feeding time on the 'must-have-before-
Christmas' rich suckers.

John Lewis
- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

you obviously have a shit computer and like to make yourself feel better by
making posts like this.

poor sad man.

John Lewis

you obviously have a shit computer and like to make yourself feel better by
making posts like this.

poor sad man.

OT (sigh) but here goes.............

Wrong on all counts. I just don't like to see people being sucked by
multimillion $$ marketing hype into throwing away hard-earned money,
while waiting for a few months until the hype-smoke clears will
result in that money being much more sensibly spent. I might even buy
an Xbox360 myself but I am waiting at least 6 months to find out
how it really fits into one's home entertainment - and the average
running-cost ( sale prices of games etc...)... plus the extra 6 months
will clarify the PS3 and Nintendo Revolution situations. For example,
if the PS3 is released with a developer-supported optional
keyboard-mouse interface it will be very hard to refuse, even at a
price (say) of $499 ( with hard-disk and Blu-ray drive, of course)
---M$$ has already said that the keyboard and mouse will never be
optioned or developer-supported on the current Xbox360.

BTW, some interesting things are happening in the XBox360
background that should hearten PC players. M$$ has announced
that they going to strengthen their support for PC gaming in the
upcoming Vista OS. Also, more immediately, the wired (USB) Version
of the Xbox360 controller is actually called the Xbox360 Controller
for Windows and comes with Windows driver software - so M$$
must be encouraging the Xbox360 developers to support the
Xbox360 controller in PC ports of Xbox360 games. Not really
surprising, since M$$ is interesting in making money on both
the Xbox and their PC software offerings. Anything that reinforces
gaming on BOTH the Xbox360 and the PC is in their interest.