ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar service failed to start

Chuck

OK, this may push me over the edge...

After flogging this ATI-built, AIW 9600XT for the past week trying to
at least get it to boot (no video signal, same as has afflicted many
others) I finally got everything running. Just can't power it off
without expecting to have to hit the power switch 30 to 40 times, no
exaggeration! See my post
for all those gory details.

I've even watched a bit of television, got it fully functioning. But
now something is whacked. As the subject says the TV Aduio Crossbar
fails to start and consequently the WDM Rage Theater Audio and Video
won't start. All three have the yellow exclamation mark in Device
Manager.

I've gone so far as to reinstall the entire OS and still...

My procedure for Windows 2000 Server installation goes as follows:

Format C: to NTFS
Install the OS which has SP2 slipstreamed (don't install Terminal
Services)
Install SP4
Install the latest Hyperion drivers
Install all Critical patches and then most of the Recommended plus
DX9.0b and Windows Media Player.
So far all in VGA mode, 800x600
Install the stuff from the CDROM. I tried the latest from ATI's
website and got the same result.

What happens the first time it starts after this is consistent. When
the bootup has gotten to the point where the window says "Configuring
your Network connections", well into the GUI, it either freezes and
the mouse disappears, or it BSODs.I once let it sit in it's frozen
state for a couple hours and it didn't budge. I've repeated this 4 or
5 times, the whole install process as I've written it. So I restart
and it then goes thru, but the devices aren't started and the error
message above pops up.

No amount of uninstalling the specific devices, or reinstalling just
the WDM components, or uninstalling the entire software suite (and
going thru a full cleanup after, and rebooting) will get these to
load!

System Iformation only says "Error code 10".
Running the boot log tells me:"Did not load driver
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atinxsxx.sys" but of course no reason and
the file is there. ATI tells me nothing cuz there're no logs! Except
PCTest which tells me:

Test result:

WDM devices INF file not installed.
WDM devices are not listed in registry.
WDM devices are not loaded or enumerated by the device manager.
WDM devices are not registered with DirectShow

Duh.

Shared IRQ list:
Resource Device
IRQ 7 ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
IRQ 7 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 7 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 7 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC
(3C905C-TX) #2
IRQ 7 Win2000 Promise Ultra100 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller
IRQ 7 Adaptec AHA-2930CU PCI SCSI Controller
IRQ 7 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)

System specs:
Abit KT7a (rev. 1.0) Motherboard
AMD T-bird 1.2G (unlocked)
1G Atlas Precision SDRAM
Turbo Cool 510-ATX-PFC power supply
Win2000 Promise Ultra100 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller
Adaptec AHA-2930CU PCI SCSI Controller
Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI
Built by ATI, AIW 9600XT

No overclocking, but BIOS is optimized to Ars; and Paul's and Rojak's
guides with consideration given to ATI's recs.

If anyone thinks they can help and would like more info, I'll gladly
cough it up. This is really buggin' me!

Chuck

Dylan Christopherson

Alot of times Code 10 errors can be fixed with a BIOS update.

-Dylan

Mike

I don't know anything about the ABIT board, but a few thoughts come to
mind. I had several problems with my ATI coming up with no signal. Can
you increase the voltage to the Vid Card and the RAM? I run Vid at 1.60
and RAM at 2.7 and they are stable. What ATI Catalyst drivers are you
using? I have heard of issues from 3.7 to 4.1. I reloaded several
times until it finally took form the OEM CD verson 3.1, then updated to
4.3 and it is fine. I have another mainboard with a VIA chipset and an
ATI VIVO card. It was very picky to get it to work right. Also, do you
have the Hotfix from Microsoft for DirectX9b and ATI video cards? Can
ou set to BIOS to assign IRQ to the Video card and not share. Creative
and ATI are known for being IRQ hogs and you have SCSI cards and an
ethernet on the same IRQ. Just a thought.

Chuck

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I'm beginning to think it is the card placement. I saw on an
'Unofficial' KT7A FAQ a good description of how IRQs are assiged on
the board and how they're shared:

http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2&fcid=26

Tried to follow this as best as I could but there's room for
improvement.

To answer your ???:

-Can't increase voltage specifically to the AGP slot but I do have
something called "AGP Driving value". I'm not sure if it refers to
strength of signal or timing, tho. By a suggstion at the above site I
set it to 68 and that's what finally got it to connect...once. Left
the setting there but it still takes many restarts to connect.

-Tried both the version on the CDROM that came with it (4.1, I
believe) and the latest from ATI. Both same result.

-Tried the hotfix.

-IRQ is assigned (as per ATI) in the BIOS.

-I want to dump this Creative (Ensoniq) card. I think it's causing
part of the OS problem but in troubleshooting the boot issue, I still
had problems with the sound card (and everything else) removed. The
boot problem is going to be resolved (if it can be) in the BIOS
settings. I stripped the machine down to 1 stick of RAM, the CPU and
the card and still had trouble.

To anyone else following my sordid tale: I think when you hear this
VIA/ATI problem in the various forums where it's being discussed, keep
in mind I'm having this issue with a pretty highly rated PSU, Turbo
Cool 510-ATX-PFC power supply. I really don't think it's a power
problem as much as a timing issue at the AGP interface. If you're
having this boot problem, it's more likely VIA's than ATI's.

C.

pjp

I use EC as the AGP driving value on this Tyan trinity mb using a Radeon
7200 if that's any help.

Mike

I'm not sure without checking the BIOS, but I think my driving value on
my Tyan Trinity 400 is EC. I have an ATI Rage Fury Pro VIVO with one
shared IRQ and my Creative SB Live is shared by one. The sound and
video are two separate IRQ's. I did have to switch my PCI cards around
a bit to make it work. The ATI card is AGP. I have a Promise card,
Modem, USB 2.0 card, Creative SB Live all PCI with some sharing. They
all work well. Check on the different VIA drivers and use the one that
may seem the best. One thing I have found with VIA chipsets is when you
have the drivers that work, don't upgrade. Another thought, I that BIOS
set to look for AGP first and PCI second?