ATI 9000 Pro with Catalyst 3.4 to 3.6 problems

nathantw

Does anyone have the following problem with ATI Radeon 9000 pro cards (or
the other cards in general) when using EA Games programs using Catalyst 3.4,
3.5, and 3.6? For example, in Medal of Honor, including Spearhead, I get
flashing red squares showing up on the walls and floors, especially in the
snow. In F1 2002 (with GTR Racing) and Madden 2003 I get textures ripping
and flashing everywhere. I don't get this with any other manufacturer's
programs.

I've tried using the Omega drivers without luck. I've tried V-sync and it
didn't help. In the case of the ripping and flashing bars of textures it
appears to come on whenever Anisotropic filtering and Smoothvision are
turned on. This is especially true with F1 2002 and GTR Racing and Madden
2003. As for the flashing red squares in Medal of Honor I had that with each
of my different systems. I thought everything was happening because my
machine wasn't fast enough for anisotropic and smoothvision filtering but
that turned out not to be the case.

My previous system was as follows:

Abit BH6 (original) motherboard
256 meg of RAM
600mhz Slot 1 Pentium 3 o/c to 800mhz

My current system is as follows:

Asus P4P800 motherboard
512 megs of dual DDR400 RAM
Pentium 4 2.4c o/c to 3.2 Ghz

So my system nowdays should be plenty fast. I even get over 36fps in FS2004.
I thought perhaps my system was overheating, especially the memory, but I
put Thermaltake copper cooling kits on my DDR memory and heatsinks on my ATI
9000 Pro. However, it doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm actually thinking it might actually be the
Catalyst drivers, especially the newest ones because it appears that
anisotropic and smoothvision filtering take place regardless of my settings.
There's no place to turn it off.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Nathan

Jesper Bentzen

Hi

Hmm, I can't help you much except to say that I have used Catalyst 3.4-3.6
on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with no problems, so I don't think it has anything
to do with the drivers in it self.

You seem to o/c quite a lot and you describe that most games don't run as
they should - maybe you should try to not o/c and see how things go.

Question is also do you really need Anisotropic filtering and Smoothvision?
I turn it off to get more speed.

[DTO]Pvt.MoneyShot

P.S. I have had some heating problems that was solved by adding some extra
fans in my tower, but other than that it runs like a dream.

nathantw

Thanks for the reply. I tried using the computer at the default 2.4Ghz and
it didn't help.

nathantw said:
[...]

oldsupportguy

My issue was almost the same - Playing mohaa would work fine for about
the first 5 minutes - then some bits would appear, flashing at random.
Then a texture or two would turn a neon hue.

Come to find out the Radeon card was over heating - granted its a
9200, I picked up for $90. But still - it should work out of the box.
The heatsink was over 140 degrees F after a hour of game play.
My case is very ventilated (8 x 80mm fans), my case may reach 80
degrees F and cpu hardly every reach 110 F so I returned it and got a
GeForce FX 5200 and haven't had a problem since.

Looking back, this card was built by Powercolor... a seemingly
offbrand builder of ATI cards. I should have inspected the card more
closely before buying it. The heatsink itself was about the same size
as the one on my Via KT400 northbridge.

nathantw said:
[...]

magnulus

Not sure overheating is the problem- actually ATI cards don't make as much
heat as some of the GeForce cards do, and the Radeon 9000 doesn't have high
cooling requirements.

I get similar things happening with a Radeon 9700 Pro in OpenGL games
like Medal of Honor (texture tearing and artifacts, although very briefly
and it's not very often but still looks ugly), yet this doesn't occur in
D3D- except BF 1942, for some reason I've seen a very wierd artifacting
there too, although it only occurs on some maps (like Berlin). I haven't
messed with the clock of the card ever. My guess is its a driver problem if
not some underlying hardware bug. If it were overheating/overclocking or
just fried, I'd see it in every game, I would think. Perhaps ATI is making
too agressive of optimizations and "broke" something, or their OpenGL
drivers just need more work. Also, the AGP voltage might not be right. I
just don't know enough about these things to say for sure. Curiously
enough, I've seen the same problem with Battlefield and a GeForce FX... so
who knows... might be something on the motherboard.

It would be great to find a utility you could test the "health" of your
videocard, memory, etc. Look for failing transistors or parts, and so on,
because the problem is disconcerting.

Jesper Bentzen said:
[...]

Rob

nathantw said:
[...]

I am getting a similar problem in Spearhead and Breakthrough
singleplay. I get small white boxes on the ground where an enemy is
standing when I shoot him.

Tried changing all settings, resolution, reducing Windows
acceleration, installing newest drivers, etc... no luck.

Also... I am also getting a crash to the briefing room when I am in
the 3rd Breakthrough mission (Flush out the bunker - after mine
clearing by tanks). It is when I enter the room with the winding
staircase heading up.

Dell Dimension 8200
P4 2Ghz
512 MB RAM
NVidia GeForce 4 ti4600
Windows XP Home

Nothing is overclocked. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Robert

Dave Henrie

(e-mail address removed) (Rob) wrote in
Dell Dimension 8200
P4 2Ghz
512 MB RAM
NVidia GeForce 4 ti4600
Windows XP Home

Nothing is overclocked. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Robert

The general consensus here is the older motherboards may contribute. I
have an Asus A7a and it has lots of graphic flaws in F1 Challenge and F1
2k2. Others here with the same motherboard said their similar problems
went away after buying a newer mb.

dave henrie

Jesper M. Bentzen

Hmm, are you running an original version of the game? I have seen the
problem you describe on a pirate version of the game, but on my original
there is no problem. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and it runs without
problems ( I had a few heat related issues, they were solved the instant I
cooled things down with my 8 fan chasis)

Rob

Jesper M. Bentzen said:
Hmm, are you running an original version of the game? I have seen the
problem you describe on a pirate version of the game, but on my original
there is no problem. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and it runs without
problems ( I had a few heat related issues, they were solved the instant I
cooled things down with my 8 fan chasis)

Yes, the game is a pckaged version bought from Best Buy (actually
Future Shop, but they are the same company).

The key to getting rid of the problems with the graphics was to
uninstall all things MOH and then reinstall. No white boxes on the
ground.

I am now going back and forth with their technical support about the
crashing to the briefing room.

Thanks for all the assistance folks.

Robert

Skid

Dirty Harry said:
My god ppl, take your side cover off and you don't need any case fans....

But then you get more dust and noise, and spoil the designed airflow, which
often results in hot spots, especially in the crowded area where AGP and PCI
cards are jammed..

If it were as simple as you suggest, nobody would run with side covers. In
fact, some people have tried it both ways and found temps were actually
lower with them on. YMMV.

Dirty Harry

My Overclocked Barton and my overclocked radeon 9800 seem to run just fine,
no case fans=less noise, as fas as the dust goes, you'd have to put a filter
infront of all your fans to stop that, but that would also stop the
airflow...hmmm.

Replicant

Dirty Harry said:
My Overclocked Barton and my overclocked radeon 9800 seem to run just fine,
no case fans=less noise, as fas as the dust goes, you'd have to put a filter
infront of all your fans to stop that, but that would also stop the
airflow...hmmm.

Nah, so long as you use the proper material for a filter it won't disrupt
the airflow. I cut a piece out of woman's nylons (no jokes please) and use
that. Stretch it tight over the fan and hold it in place with an elastic
band. Works great.

UC

Nah, so long as you use the proper material for a filter it won't disrupt
the airflow. I cut a piece out of woman's nylons (no jokes please) and use
that. Stretch it tight over the fan and hold it in place with an elastic
band. Works great.
hi, its true, the nylon material is not too restrictive.i enjoy
the full aroma of the crotch section, by saving it for my main
exhaust fan.

U.C.

Babble

Nah, so long as you use the proper material for a filter it won't disrupt
the airflow. I cut a piece out of woman's nylons (no jokes please) and use
that. Stretch it tight over the fan and hold it in place with an elastic
band. Works great.

That, my friend, will restrict air flow. Get yourself some common
filtering material like what's used in window air conditioners.
Much less restrictive.

Babs

Replicant

That, my friend, will restrict air flow. Get yourself some common
filtering material like what's used in window air conditioners.
Much less restrictive.

Babs

Lot's of people use pantyhose as a filter and have no problem. You can
wear them under your pants too.