Assign a host name

Is it possible to use dhcp and dns (running on a windows 2000 server) to hand
out an ip address and a host name? I am told this is called dynamic dns. I
have some boxies that will install and OS at bootup and then I need the boxes
to assign a host name as well as an IP address name. Is this possible?

Kurt

Yes, there is a server option (not a scope option) in the DHCP snap-in to
assign a hostname and lists the RFC. When I install Redhat I am prompted to
either assign a hostname or select the option to have it assigned via DHCP.
You'd probably have to peruse the RFC to find out how the hostname is
generated.

....kurt

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Paulm0419 said:
Is it possible to use dhcp and dns (running on a windows 2000 server)
to hand out an ip address and a host name? I am told this is called
dynamic dns. I have some boxies that will install and OS at bootup
and then I need the boxes to assign a host name as well as an IP
address name. Is this possible?

May I ask why you would want to do it this way? If you're rolling out
desktops, you can use a Ghosted sysprepped image that you can choose the
name at boot that is applicable or appropriate for the user, OS type and/or
location.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

Not sure how? It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile.

The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy.
===========================

SIME via WinServerKB.com

Hi

You can use RIS (remote installation services) to distribute an image and
give any host name to the client you see fit , from a mixture of their
username to the physical MAC address of the NIC .

FYI, this is NOT dynamic DNS. My understanding of dynamic dns just means
clients can dynamically update their DNS info in the relevant zone ie
register themselves. dynamic dns has nothing to do with actually naming a
client (it resolves the name to IP once assigned but DOES NOT assign the
hostname)

Regards

Simon