Assembly and Type Name

Max2006

Hi,

When I want to specify a type \in web.config or app.config files, I have to
type it like this:

type="Microsoft.WCF.Documentation.EnforceGreetingFaultBehavior,
HostApplication, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"

The name is usually long especially if it is a strongly named assembly and
we have to type PublicKeyToken.

Is there any tool that I can use to copy and paste the type name?

Thank you,
Max

Marc Gravell

I don't know if there is an easier way - but I usually just throw
something like below into the code and copy it from the output
window...

Debug.WriteLine(typeof(AttributeCollection).AssemblyQualifiedName);

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

For the full type name you need to put in configuratin file, it is actually
called "Assembly qualified name". For complex type and assmebly, I usually
use the following code to print them out:

==================
Type type = typeof(System.Net.Cookie);

string fullname = type.AssemblyQualifiedName;

Response.Write("<br/>" + fullname);
=========================

Or you can also use some tool such as reflector to inspect assembly's
FullName and append them to the Full typename so as to make up the Full
assembly qualified type name.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

Max2006

Hi Steven,

Could you refer me to any documentation that explains the syntax for
"Assembly qualified name"?

I had a look at this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k8xx4k69.aspx

However, it doesn't explain the ``endpointValidate`` section here:

"Microsoft.ServiceModel.Samples.EndpointValidateElement, endpointValidate,
Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"

Thank you for help,
Max

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Could you refer me to any documentation that explains the syntax for
"Assembly qualified name"?

I had a look at this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k8xx4k69.aspx

However, it doesn't explain the ``endpointValidate`` section here:

"Microsoft.ServiceModel.Samples.EndpointValidateElement, endpointValidate,
Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"

Yes it does - that's the name of the assembly containing
EndPointValidateElement.

It's a slightly odd name for an assembly, admittedly, but it's
basically okay.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.type.assemblyqualifiedname.aspx
for some more examples.

Jon

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Max,

As for the Assembly Qaulified name, it is actually combined with two parts:

1. The full type name

2. The full assemby name

For the type's fullname, it's quite straightforard, just
[Namespace]+[TypeName]

For assembly full name, you can refer to the following reference:

#Assembly Names
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k8xx4k69(VS.71).aspx

#Assembly Display Names
http://blogs.msdn.com/suzcook/archive/2003/05/29/57137.aspx

a full assembly name contains [AssemblyName], [Version],[Culture],[Public
Key Token]

From: "Max2006" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Assembly and Type Name
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:52:23 -0400