ASR Wizard

victor

I need help understanding and using the Automated System
Recovery. The documentation stated that when using the
ASR backup wizard, data files are not backed up. When I
used it, all of the data files in the current partition
where windows is installed, my entire C drive were backed
up.

1. Will theses data files be restored in a systems
failure restoration using the ASR?
2.Can I use the data backed up with the ASR wizard to do
a standard recovery in the case that a portion of the C
drive or individual files are corrupted, but the windows
system has integrity.
3. Finally, how is the archive flag treated in an ASR
backup? Can I follow up with standard differential
backups on the data files that were backed up with the
ASR wizard?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/managing/asr.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"victor" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

|I need help understanding and using the Automated System
| Recovery. The documentation stated that when using the
| ASR backup wizard, data files are not backed up. When I
| used it, all of the data files in the current partition
| where windows is installed, my entire C drive were backed
| up.
|
| 1. Will theses data files be restored in a systems
| failure restoration using the ASR?
| 2.Can I use the data backed up with the ASR wizard to do
| a standard recovery in the case that a portion of the C
| drive or individual files are corrupted, but the windows
| system has integrity.
| 3. Finally, how is the archive flag treated in an ASR
| backup? Can I follow up with standard differential
| backups on the data files that were backed up with the
| ASR wizard?

victor

Thanks for your reply. I have already read this document
and it does not offer the information that I need. The
document clearly states that the ASR wizard does not
backup data files:

"Note Only those system files necessary for starting up
your system will be backed up by this procedure."

The ASR wizard on my Windows XP backed up a full 7 gig
worth of data files in addition to the system files from
my C Drive. My concern is that it is not working
properly. Can you explain?