ASR Backup and Backup Atributes not setting

Roger Ewing

I want to be able to create an ASR backup, then from there, maintain
Differential backups. The problem is, that when I create an ASR backup set,
it does not set the backup flags to indicate the files are backed up.

Interestingly, when I read about ASR backup in Microsoft documentation says
that the data does not back up...but it does. But, as I said, it does not
set the flag.

So, my problem is that when I create a differential, it backs up all the
data again. This is a problem, because I am doing my backup to another
drive, and I end up with two full copies of backup on the one drive, and no
space left.

Anyone have any thoughts? Can I correct this?

mrtee

Overwrite the 1st or delete it. Then do the new set. How small is the HD you are writing to?

Yes, ASR does backup everything (except the OS (XP)) on the system drive.

Here is a hint - DO NOT change any partitition size without creating a new set. The new size would be returned to the old size and all data on it lost (happened to me). Also be aware that when the ASR wizard is invoked from the XP CD that the system drive is formatted, XP installed, finally the backup set is restored. The ASR set HAS to be on a seperate HD or partition.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| I want to be able to create an ASR backup, then from there, maintain
| Differential backups. The problem is, that when I create an ASR backup set,
| it does not set the backup flags to indicate the files are backed up.
|
| Interestingly, when I read about ASR backup in Microsoft documentation says
| that the data does not back up...but it does. But, as I said, it does not
| set the flag.
|
| So, my problem is that when I create a differential, it backs up all the
| data again. This is a problem, because I am doing my backup to another
| drive, and I end up with two full copies of backup on the one drive, and no
| space left.
|
| Anyone have any thoughts? Can I correct this?

Roger Ewing

Thanks for your 2¢ worth!

I am a little confused, though. But first, to answer your questions: My HD I
am backing up is an 80GB drive. I am backing up to a 160GB drive.

Now, just a little background to be sure we are together:
When I do my ASR backup, I name the BKF file ASR.BKF. Then I have been
naming the next one FULL.bkf.

Now, it sounds like you are saying I can delte the ASR one. But, I then
presume that my FULL would need to be named ASR (because when I restore from
the ASR method, it will look for ASR.bkf.) I had presumed, maybe incorrectly
if I understand your message, that the ASR.BKF that is created when I run
the ASR backup had special ASR information in it. But, I am gathering that
it is just like any other "full" backup (with system selected of course) and
that the floppy that is created is the 'special' stuff.

What I was confused about was your comment that it backs up everything
except the OS, but now I think I understand: the OS is installed from CD
fresh (presumably the OS was messed up), and the ASR floppy restores
necessary partition info, etc, and the ASR.BKF restores all files, data, and
programs.

Given that, just backing up over the ASR would work fine.

ONe last caveate: I also have one other 80 GB drive that I backup also (of
course, none of them are full). But, I expect it would not be wise to
include that in the ASR that I overwrite, but in a different file.
Presumably if I need to restore the system, I'd only need the C: drive, and
not want to restore the D: drive.

Sorry for the long message.

==Roger

"mrtee" <hingelickeratnew.rr.com> wrote in message
Overwrite the 1st or delete it. Then do the new set. How small is the HD
you are writing to?

Yes, ASR does backup everything (except the OS (XP)) on the system drive.

Here is a hint - DO NOT change any partitition size without creating a new
set. The new size would be returned to the old size and all data on it lost
(happened to me). Also be aware that when the ASR wizard is invoked from
the XP CD that the system drive is formatted, XP installed, finally the
backup set is restored. The ASR set HAS to be on a seperate HD or
partition.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| I want to be able to create an ASR backup, then from there, maintain
| Differential backups. The problem is, that when I create an ASR backup
set,
| it does not set the backup flags to indicate the files are backed up.
|
| Interestingly, when I read about ASR backup in Microsoft documentation
says
| that the data does not back up...but it does. But, as I said, it does not
| set the flag.
|
| So, my problem is that when I create a differential, it backs up all the
| data again. This is a problem, because I am doing my backup to another
| drive, and I end up with two full copies of backup on the one drive, and
no
| space left.
|
| Anyone have any thoughts? Can I correct this?

mrtee

Roger, sounds like you have the idea down to a t. :) The floppy is what contains the info on the partitition sizes. The files are asr.sif, asrpnp.sif and setup.log. It does work well, I used it for just under 2 years before I bought an imaging program.

With ASR you can install a new system HDD as long as it is the same size or larger than the old HDD. I keep all my data files on a seperate drive. If your system would by chance get toasted or you got a virus it's great to be able to restore what you had before it happened.

I created a .bkf (ASR) file on Weds. to help out someone who couldn't get "tree view" the file was named Backup.bkf by the system. Just create a different folder and put the new .bkf file in it.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff