ASP.NET losing session on redirect

Reaction score
I have been hunting for a solution to this problem and have had no luck.

Language: ASP.Net 1.1 VB

I have set up forms authentication to cause login.aspx to authenticate - get user name and password. If correct, it creates a session object to represent the user and attributes. Straight after this it calls

FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage ...

and navigates to the first main page.

On my development IIS 5.0 server, there are no problems. I use the same technique I used for another project which stayed on IIS 5.0

This project however is being hosted on IIS 6 once deployed.

On that platform it is authenticating but not transferring properly, and the session object is disappearing ( is nothing ).

I have replaced FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage with
FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(username,false) : response.redirect( "firstpage.aspx",false)

but still no joy.

Has anyone successfully solved such a problem? As at this point I am considering ripping out the authentication mechanism and using global.asax to check each page for authenticated session var - if it works.

I can't believe this is such a problem considering the complexity of the rest of my site :) Thanks for any help.

Ask a Question