Are .NET Framework 1.1 apps on Linux possible?

Ron Fluegge

I have both a Windows Form application and a ASP.NET web-based application
built with .NET Framework 1.1 that a client wants to run on a Linux box.

I have searched the net and MSDN but cannot determine if the applications
can or will run on a Linux box. Searching for Linux on the Microsoft site
only return "comparisons" between developing with .NET vs Java/Linux; not if
you can install/run a .NET application on a Linux box as far as I can find.

I have found the Mono site and it indicates that it is an open source
development platform based on the .NET Framework that allows you to build
Linux apps.

However, the question is this: If I build the apps in VS.NET, can they be
installed on a Linux box and, more importantly, will they run? Would I need
to install Mono on the Linux box?

If it is necessary to re-compile the apps developed with VS.NET, will Mono
require that the source code be all in C# -- the Mono site indicates that
Windows Forms and VB.NET functionality are still under heavy development.

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) related to such an
application deployment for either Windows forms apps (is this even
possible?) or web apps?

Our shop is all Windows (when cut, we bleed little tiny Windows logos) so we
have no experience with Linux whatsoever so any advice, suggestions, etc
would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
RonFlueggeATswbellDOTnet

Ron Fluegge

One other small point, assuming I can get the client to instead install and
run the apps on a Windows box, will ADO.NET have any problems accessing
Oracle 9i tables running on a Linux box using the Microsoft .net managed
provider for Oracle? I am assuming not, but it won't be the first time that
I have seriously underestimated the issues involved in such a project.

Sorry for asking such dumb questions, but we are under a short timeframe to
respond to the client.

Ron

Daniel O'Connell [C# MVP]

Ron Fluegge said:
One other small point, assuming I can get the client to instead install
and
run the apps on a Windows box, will ADO.NET have any problems accessing
Oracle 9i tables running on a Linux box using the Microsoft .net managed
provider for Oracle? I am assuming not, but it won't be the first time
that
I have seriously underestimated the issues involved in such a project.

Sorry for asking such dumb questions, but we are under a short timeframe
respond to the client.

I'm responding to both here instead of inline to both. First off, you will
need mono installed on the linux box, and from what I hear windows forms
isn't terribly good. There is a GTK# implemntation, you may want to look
into designing your UI using that. It probably won't look as good(GTK isn't
terribly pretty, IMHO), but it will probably work across the platforms.

As for ADO.NET, I can't say much about working with oracle, but I hear the
oracle provided provider is better than the microsoft one. You should
probably look into that as well.

John Eikanger [MSFT]

Hi, Ron

You will need to take that up with whoever implemented the .NET Framework
on Linux. To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft does not support .NET
apps running on Linux. You would do better to pursue this in a Linux
newsgroup. The are more likely to be able to respond authoritatively.

Thank you for choosing the MSDN Managed Newsgroups,

John Eikanger
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: "Ron Fluegge" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Are .NET Framework 1.1 apps on Linux possible?
|
| I have both a Windows Form application and a ASP.NET web-based application
| built with .NET Framework 1.1 that a client wants to run on a Linux box.
|
| I have searched the net and MSDN but cannot determine if the applications
| can or will run on a Linux box. Searching for Linux on the Microsoft site
| only return "comparisons" between developing with .NET vs Java/Linux; not
if
| you can install/run a .NET application on a Linux box as far as I can
find.

| I have found the Mono site and it indicates that it is an open source
| development platform based on the .NET Framework that allows you to build
| Linux apps.
|
| However, the question is this: If I build the apps in VS.NET, can they be
| installed on a Linux box and, more importantly, will they run? Would I
need
| to install Mono on the Linux box?
|
| If it is necessary to re-compile the apps developed with VS.NET, will Mono
| require that the source code be all in C# -- the Mono site indicates that
| Windows Forms and VB.NET functionality are still under heavy development.
|
| Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) related to such an
| application deployment for either Windows forms apps (is this even
| possible?) or web apps?
|
| Our shop is all Windows (when cut, we bleed little tiny Windows logos) so
we
| have no experience with Linux whatsoever so any advice, suggestions, etc
| would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Ron
| RonFlueggeATswbellDOTnet

Ron Fluegge

John,

Would you have any comments or thoughts on whether ADO.NET have any problems
accessing Oracle 9i tables running on a Linux box using the "Microsoft" .net
managed provider for Oracle? I am assuming not, but it won't be the first
time that I have seriously underestimated the issues involved in such a
project. I have looked at Oracle's .net managed provider and am not happy
with their implementation for our specific use.

Ron

John Eikanger [MSFT]

Hi, Ron

Completely outside my experience. I asked my favorite database expert, and
she said she isn't aware of any major issues. You'd be better off asking
that question down one level in the adonet forum.

John Eikanger
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------
| From: "Ron Fluegge" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Are .NET Framework 1.1 apps on Linux possible?
|
| John,
|
| Would you have any comments or thoughts on whether ADO.NET have any
problems
| accessing Oracle 9i tables running on a Linux box using the "Microsoft"
.net
| managed provider for Oracle? I am assuming not, but it won't be the first
| time that I have seriously underestimated the issues involved in such a
| project. I have looked at Oracle's .net managed provider and am not happy
| with their implementation for our specific use.
|
| Ron
|
| | > Hi, Ron
| >
| > You will need to take that up with whoever implemented the .NET
Framework
| > on Linux. To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft does not support .NET
| > apps running on Linux. You would do better to pursue this in a Linux
| > newsgroup. The are more likely to be able to respond authoritatively.
| >
| > Thank you for choosing the MSDN Managed Newsgroups,
| >
| > John Eikanger
| > Microsoft Developer Support

| rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Ron Fluegge" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Are .NET Framework 1.1 apps on Linux possible?
| > |
| > | I have both a Windows Form application and a ASP.NET web-based
| application
| > | built with .NET Framework 1.1 that a client wants to run on a Linux
box.
| > |
| > | I have searched the net and MSDN but cannot determine if the
| applications
| > | can or will run on a Linux box. Searching for Linux on the Microsoft
| site
| > | only return "comparisons" between developing with .NET vs Java/Linux;
| not
| > if
| > | you can install/run a .NET application on a Linux box as far as I can
| > find.
| > |
| > | I have found the Mono site and it indicates that it is an open source
| > | development platform based on the .NET Framework that allows you to
| build
| > | Linux apps.
| > |
| > | However, the question is this: If I build the apps in VS.NET, can
they
| be
| > | installed on a Linux box and, more importantly, will they run? Would
| > need
| > | to install Mono on the Linux box?
| > |
| > | If it is necessary to re-compile the apps developed with VS.NET, will
| Mono
| > | require that the source code be all in C# -- the Mono site indicates
| that
| > | Windows Forms and VB.NET functionality are still under heavy
| development.
| > |
| > | Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) related to such an
| > | application deployment for either Windows forms apps (is this even
| > | possible?) or web apps?
| > |