appearances

DW

What's the deal with WinXP's new look? Why are there only three colour
schemes and why can't you modify these? I hate that green start button! And
I'd like to have some choices beyond blue, green, or silver for the overall
colour scheme. Are there other schemes posted somewhere--like a
fading-to-orange red scheme?

I am tempted to go back to the Windows "classic" look just for the
flexibility and personalization. I do like the hiding tray though. Are there
any drawbacks to reverting to the classic layout?

DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

DW

I wouldn't run XP in anything but 'classic' look.. the eye candy is
worthless unless one has bought a computer just to decorate a corner of the
room..

Hoppy

If you really want it "your way", read the article here:
http://georgeh123.blogspot.com/2005/11/desktop-visual-styles-uxtheme-multi.html
and apply the patch which will allow you to use hundreds of free themes and
styles.
You will no longer be restricted to Windows Classic or Luna themes.

There is also a free program to easily change your boot screen, here:
http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

Both files use little if any overhead and are complete un-installable. Have
fun.
--
Hoppy
(e-mail address removed)

DW wrote on Wed, 4 Jan 2006 07:04:47 -0800:

D> I am tempted to go back to the Windows "classic" look just for the
D> flexibility and personalization. I do like the hiding tray though. Are
D> there any drawbacks to reverting to the classic layout?

DW

All,

I'm curious...first, there doesn't seem to be an active website for the
Neowin patcher. I can't find what is certifiably the latest version. What
are some of the alternatives for applying themes? (I know about
Windowblinds)

Second, many of the themes for Windowblinds are 1024x768. the native
resolution for a 19" LCD is 1280x1024. Does it matter if the themes are set
up for a lower (or higher) resolution? I can see it might matter for
included wallpaper, but the rest?

Thanks...

DW
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

Hoppy

Yeah, I see what you mean about the link to the patch. You might try going
the the NeoWin forum ( http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php ) and
searching for "UXTheme Multipatcher" to catch up on the latest.... I went
in briefly and see that there's a 64-bit version available. There's GOT to
be an active link there somewhere.

I have v4 which is for XP SP2 which I could email you if you like. You
should read up on it in the forum anyway.

There are a few themers available but AFAIK they're payware: WindowBlinds,
StyleXP. I tried StyleXP but their themes are stored on a server that
insists on downloading tons of extraneous files including spyware when you
download their themes. I'd stick to the links on George's page...

The only issue that I can think of that you may have regarding your screen
resolution is with the wallpaper, which -- if you want to use it -- can be
stretched in Windows' Display Properties > Desktop tab or resized in a photo
editing program.

--
Hoppy
~~
DW wrote on Sat, 7 Jan 2006 06:43:21 -0800:

D> I'm curious...first, there doesn't seem to be an active website for the
D> Neowin patcher. I can't find what is certifiably the latest version.
D> What are some of the alternatives for applying themes? (I know about
D> Windowblinds)

D> Second, many of the themes for Windowblinds are 1024x768. the native
D> resolution for a 19" LCD is 1280x1024. Does it matter if the themes are
D> set up for a lower (or higher) resolution? I can see it might matter for
D> included wallpaper, but the rest?

D> Thanks...

D> DW
D> In the High Desert of Central Oregon

D> ??>> If you really want it "your way", read the article here:
??>>
http://georgeh123.blogspot.com/2005/11/desktop-visual-styles-uxtheme-multi.html
??>> and apply the patch which will allow you to use hundreds of free
??>> themes and styles. You will no longer be restricted to Windows Classic
??>> or Luna themes.
??>>
??>> There is also a free program to easily change your boot screen, here:
??>> http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
??>>
??>> Both files use little if any overhead and are complete un-installable.
??>> Have fun. -- Hoppy (e-mail address removed) ~~
??>>
??>> DW wrote on Wed, 4 Jan 2006 07:04:47 -0800:
??>>
D>>> I am tempted to go back to the Windows "classic" look just for the
D>>> flexibility and personalization. I do like the hiding tray though. Are
D>>> there any drawbacks to reverting to the classic layout?
??>>

Hoppy

Here's the link for v4: http://www.llbbl.com/data/nw_uxpatcher.zip

I would strongly suggest you go into the forum and read about it before
applying it .... or, at least, save a copy of your original uxtheme.dll
file.

Have fun ... Hoppy
~~

DW wrote on Sat, 7 Jan 2006 06:43:21 -0800:

D> I'm curious...first, there doesn't seem to be an active website for the
D> Neowin patcher. I can't find what is certifiably the latest version.
<snipped>