Apparent free space loss

Sax

Over the last few days my computer has started reporting
ever decreasing amount of free space. I have a 120gb
HD, which should be reporting approximately 100gb free
space. But each day, without any new material being
installed, it drops by several gb. Three days ago is
was 101gb free. By today, it's down to 82gb. I've
done virus checks, disk doctor, pest patrol -- you name
it. I've got Zone Alarm Pro and Norton AV 2004. Does
anyone known what could be eating up my free space at
more than 6gb a day?

Not at 12% default value and not in 3 days.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| System Restore.
|
| -----
| How to optimize Windows XP/2000/ME for the best performance:
| http://www.fixyourwindows.com
|

| "Sax" wrote:
|
| > Over the last few days my computer has started reporting
| > ever decreasing amount of free space. I have a 120gb
| > HD, which should be reporting approximately 100gb free
| > space. But each day, without any new material being
| > installed, it drops by several gb. Three days ago is
| > was 101gb free. By today, it's down to 82gb. I've
| > done virus checks, disk doctor, pest patrol -- you name
| > it. I've got Zone Alarm Pro and Norton AV 2004. Does
| > anyone known what could be eating up my free space at
| > more than 6gb a day?

Gerry Cornell

Jeff

It's not common but there have been reports where it seems the 12% rule has
been ignored.

Sax.

How to turn on and turn off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405&Product=winxp

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
Not at 12% default value and not in 3 days.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| System Restore.
|
| -----
| How to optimize Windows XP/2000/ME for the best performance:
| http://www.fixyourwindows.com
|

| "Sax" wrote:
|
| > Over the last few days my computer has started reporting
| > ever decreasing amount of free space. I have a 120gb
| > HD, which should be reporting approximately 100gb free
| > space. But each day, without any new material being
| > installed, it drops by several gb. Three days ago is
| > was 101gb free. By today, it's down to 82gb. I've
| > done virus checks, disk doctor, pest patrol -- you name
| > it. I've got Zone Alarm Pro and Norton AV 2004. Does
| > anyone known what could be eating up my free space at
| > more than 6gb a day?

Well.... generally speaking, there are more:

System Restore
Hibernation
Page File
Temporary Files/Folders