Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

Home page,

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page

Torrent download here,

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=0a6f526fef5a57d2f6b2c604f6955dc1c30e73b4

So don't throw away that old computer yet! The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. It should run on most computers, ranging from 64MB old PII 266 systems with pre-configured 128MB RAM to the latest powerful boxes. 128MB RAM is recommended for antiX. The installer needs minimum 1.2GB hard disk size. antiX can also be used as a fast-booting rescue cd.

It is worth looking at the screenshots mentioned at the bottom of the home page.

So I have been reading up on linux distros looking for a light fast os to put on some older pc's and came across this one.
This interested me as you can make a usb stick your permanent home partition. A nice feature I thought.
I have only given it the briefest of tries so far. Having a laptop that was refuesing to boot from anything and was missing a hdd I wanted ti see if antiX would boot for me. Yep it booted ok and I played a entertaining game of mahjong with very nice graphics indeedee.
I'll be looking into what and how it performs over the next few weeks and will report back. So far it is looking good.

Now if only I could split the laptop in two to access the mobo etc as I think this little beasty is just in need of a clean or maybe a cpu reseat. I'm sure I took all the screws out but can not get it to split, guess I'll just have to have another look.

antiX-M8 a funky name and a cool little customer.

nod.gif

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 832
  • 2.png
    2.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,057
Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Tried the live CD in me 754 rig and it seemed to load but ended up with a totally black screen. There are several options at boot for this Live CD and tried a few of them but still came to a black screen. Only way I could think of to escape was Ctrl+Alt+Del.
Would have played some more but I could not remember how to bring up a command line as I think it is only a graphics setting that needs tweaking. It was rather late at night. Still I'm looking at playing with this antiX on an older pc so I'll report back when I have given it a go.
happywave.gif

Ask a Question