Answer to removing Virus Alert! blinking icon on taskbar

Reaction score
Guyz no stress in fact i probably dont even need your hijackthis log, the answer to fixing it is simple as 123. All those anti - virus you download either you own or just use as trial might not be able to solve your problem so listen up and follow.

K so lets start on removing this annoying icon

So first of all this ad is proccessed on your manager atmclk.exe
have you tried ending its proccess or its preoccess tree?
i know i know it doesnt work...
this malware is located in your C:\WINDOWS\system32\atmclk.exe

If you go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\atmclk.exe you will see it somewhere, try deleting it.... doesnt work right? thats because it has many backup files to make removing impossible, by the way i have tryed running it with many malware programs and it just owned them all. LOL

k so here is what i did, not trying to be a hero showing off what i know just tell you guys what i did so maybe it can help you instead of panicing i understand that this icon is annoying as hell and you want to punch the guy in the noise lol

so lets start and quick the chatting

run your windows on a safe mode go into C:\WINDOWS\system32

you will not be able to see atmclk.exe file in system32 anymore because its on safe mode. It should be gone all you have to do is delete all the files that start with the first 2 letters at (Delete all of them) if you cant just leave should be alright

Dont worry about deleting the wrong files and losing your windows stuff cause i didnt most of them are the files that back up atmclk.exe

after you do that find a file in the same folder system32 with the first 2 letters dco and delete them all, sorry im not telling you the whole file name cause they are already gone LOL, but i positive they begin with those letters.

Well after you do that restart your computer to windows NOT SAFE MODE and the icon should be gone. =)

I hope this helps you guys solve this problem and try not to search too much P**n you know next time its the most dangerous thing you can do to your computer.

And if it doesnt work for you please dont blame me just trying to help out because it worked for me.
user.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
still having problems on the homepage?

NEW!

If you have done all this and rebooted your computer again, you'll probably notice that your intenret home page is still being linked to a page you dont want and changing your home page wont work.

If this happens go on your hijackthis and scan our your log.

Check fix these files

O2 - BHO: Nothing - {b0398eca-0bcd-4645-8261-5e9dc70248d0} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\hpAD8C.tmp

O9 - Extra button: SideStep - {3E230861-5C87-11D3-A1C6-00105A1B41B8} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SbCIe028.dll

O16 - DPF: {640B39C1-D713-464F-92C3-75BD972B95EE}

After you have fix it, go to your internet explorer and try change your homepage again :D it should now be the homepage you want.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the post kevinz, I'm glad it worked for you - unfortunately for some here they either didn't have those files listed, or after deletion the icon persisted.

My advice for the average user would be to run the fixes given HERE, and follow that up with a general clean-up with CCleaner :thumb:

:)

Reaction score
Blinking icon removal

I had this problem too and tried several purchased and free anti-virus/spyware programs without success.
I was resigned to keep hiding it on the taskbar but it always re-appeared on reboot. After running SpySweeper it showed up a Malware (not related to the blinking icon) which required me to reboot to complete the quarantine process. For whatever reason my laptop stuck on "logging off..." To shut down I had to disconnect the battery. When I rebooted the system carried out the automatic disk check and repair process and at startup the blinking icon was gone! I'm only telling you this was my experience whether you want to give it a go is your own decision!!!

Ask a Question