Another SWEN coming in every hour

Knack

Set up an Earthlink account 10 days ago and am still getting swamped
with new SWEN mail. It's rendered my E-mail reception almost useless.
Earthlink will not filter it out, and their standard automated replies
to (e-mail address removed) only say to go look for help somewhere else :-(

The rate that I'm getting additional SWEN messages is horrific! And as
you know, the SWEN worm attachments are large so it slows down my
Internet connection whenever they get downloaded.

Earthlink will do nothing about it, even though it's overwhelming their
mail server. So stupid. Why? What's wrong with them?

What for me to do apart from dumping Earthlink?

Adam A. Wanderer

You should at least forward it to:

(e-mail address removed)

Also, if you're using Outlook Express you can use both "Rules" and "Block
Sender" to reduce the influx.

W. Blevins

Also, if you're using Outlook Express you can use both "Rules" and "Block
Sender" to reduce the influx.

Poor advice. Block sender isn't going to work on Swen.

Adam A. Wanderer

It works partially. The virus "rotates" it's return address randomly, but
for awhile it slows down the flow. The mail "Rules" handle most of the
rest. Note: You may have to mark a certain number of "subjects" and "from"
as not spam and to be sent to the "In" box, and to override the other rules.
That will minimize any of the anti-virus rules deleting real e-mail that you
want.

W. Blevins

It works partially. The virus "rotates" it's return address randomly, but
for awhile it slows down the flow. The mail "Rules" handle most of the
rest. Note: You may have to mark a certain number of "subjects" and "from"
as not spam and to be sent to the "In" box, and to override the other rules.
That will minimize any of the anti-virus rules deleting real e-mail that you
want.

Just filter any mail that isn't directly addressed to you and send it
all to the trash.

Jeffrey A. Setaro

You should at least forward it to:

(e-mail address removed)

Also, if you're using Outlook Express you can use both "Rules" and "Block
Sender" to reduce the influx.

Using OE Block Sender function is waste of time. Create the following
rule in Outlook Express to filter out the bulk of W32/Swen generated e-
mail.

"Where the To or CC line does not contain <your e-mail address> and
Where the message has an attachment Delete it from server"

Note: you should be able to create a similar rule or filter in most e-
mail readers.

--
Cheers-

Jeff Setaro
jasetaro <at> mags.net
http://people.mags.net/jasetaro/
PGP Key IDs DH/DSS: 0x5D41429D RSA: 0x599D2A99 New RSA: 0xA19EBD34

Gary Petersen

Despite being inundated in Swen, Knack was just barely able to send out
Set up an Earthlink account 10 days ago and am still getting swamped
with new SWEN mail.
[...]
What for me to do apart from dumping Earthlink?

Here:

I wrote earlier, in another conference, this:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Knack pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
Set up an Earthlink account 10 days ago and am still getting swamped ....
Earthlink will do nothing about it, even though it's overwhelming their
mail server. So stupid. Why? What's wrong with them?

What for me to do apart from dumping Earthlink?

It doesn't matter who your ISP is. You're shooting yourself in the foot by
posting your email address in the clear in Usenet. Swen harvests addresses
from Usenet. See this public information from google groups:

From: Knack ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Antibiotics for upper respiratory illness
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: 2003-08-29 13:36:30 PST

Do you use your earthlink address in Usenet as well? Or have this hotmail
address forwarded to earthlink?

One of my ISPs - AT&T Worldnet - has dozens of posts worded almost exactly
like yours. "What's wrong with my ISP?"

Chopper

What for me to do apart from dumping Earthlink?

It's easy. In your Earthlink acct. just change the email address you have
been using on NG posts, that's probably the only one that the swens are
coming in on. If not, change the others until it stops.

Also, put in a bogus email address for NG posts header and signature so the
process doesn't start all over again.

You can fix this in 10 minutes.

Jan Il

W. Blevins said:
Just filter any mail that isn't directly addressed to you and send it
all to the trash.

Sorry....but, that don't work. I tried your suggestion, but, I still got 37
of the same crap coming in within 20 minutes. So...this alone does not
block the ever elusive quick-silver. It seems to just ignore your e-mail
address. It is not interested in you...and does not care if the mail is
addressed to you or not. Same with the Rule for anything with an attachment.
I still get all the same stuff as before. It seems to have somehow
overwritten these Rules. It seems the only thing that the Rules controls at
all in any way is some spam. Well...I have been tracking the OE6 Message
rules, and changing the rules to address various and sundry variations of
this junk, and I'll tell ya this...this stuff don't pay one dang bit of
attention to the majority of the OE Rules anymore. It's like it's been
programmed to over ride the most widely used ones. Especially the ones that
deal with the attachment issue, your e-mail address, certain words in the
From, Subject Line, Message Body.....nothing. It won't delete them, it
won't send them to the delete box, it won't delete them from the server
first, it is simply ignoring these all of these Rules.

So...this is not a sure fire protection plan either.

Jan :)

Bart Bailey

In Message-ID:<vMQeb.36608$gv5.20360@fed1read05> posted on Thu, 2 Oct
Well...I have been tracking the OE6 Message
rules, and changing the rules to address various and sundry variations of
this junk, and I'll tell ya this...this stuff don't pay one dang bit of
attention to the majority of the OE Rules anymore. It's like it's been
programmed to over ride the most widely used ones. Especially the ones that
deal with the attachment issue, your e-mail address, certain words in the
From, Subject Line, Message Body.....nothing. It won't delete them, it
won't send them to the delete box, it won't delete them from the server
first, it is simply ignoring these all of these Rules.

So...this is not a sure fire protection plan either.

I don't know if OE allows filtration for words occurring in the body,
but if you can filter against "HTML" you will get 90 some odd percent of
it.

W. Blevins

Hmm...excuse me...but... is there a part of 'don't work' you do not
understand? Despite what you and some others here may think, I am not
totally stupid. Yes, I might be,

Apparently, because it does work.

Jan Il

W. Blevins said:
If done properly, it does.

Hmm...excuse me...but... is there a part of 'don't work' you do not
understand? Despite what you and some others here may think, I am not
totally stupid. Yes, I might be,
....somewhat...perhaps...maybe..sorta...borderline.. and to perhaps some, oh
yea!!
But, I do know how to use the message rules in OE...and I have used them,
and up until now, have had no problem with them. What I am trying to tell
you now...is that THIS IS NO LONGER THE CASE!!

Why I'm even wasting my time to go there with you is even a surprise to
me...but, since I have been dumb enough to do so, .... listen up
Pilgrim......it just does is not work that way anymore. Now, I did not say
that it never did work...I did not say that it is not possible for it to
work...I am merely saying that...with the new version of our Swen
Friend...'IT.. NO...LONGER ...WORKS!'

Sheesh! Look.....the OE Rules are no longer blocking the messages with
attachments, specified subject lines, etc., and it is obviously overriding a
good many other combinations of the Rules. Hell, dude.....I was down to
only 1 in 3 days until 4:00 this afternoon. Then I started to get an influx
of them, all obviously over riding the Message Rules I had in place all this
time.

If you are going to be a responder on the NG, then you should *try* to keep
an open mind. Remember the subject of this newsgroup, which is
viri.???...worms...spam.... parasites etc., electronic BUGS! So, just
because 'you' have not been bit in the ass yet, is no reason to tell those
of us who have that it is just a matter of our being brain dead.

Obviously, you are not interested in researching this thing, or paying
attention to how it is morphing. Your attitude is...if something don't work
as you see it should, it is because the poster is just plain stupid.

You know...if you really want to be a serious responder here, why don't you
do you take the time to do you homework. How.??...just take the time to ask
the basic questions first.

Jan

Jan Il

Hi Bart!

Bart Bailey said:
In Message-ID:<vMQeb.36608$gv5.20360@fed1read05> posted on Thu, 2 Oct

I don't know if OE allows filtration for words occurring in the body,
but if you can filter against "HTML" you will get 90 some odd percent of
it.

As I have tried to explain, I have had numerous Message Rules in place, as
well as mail and newsgroup settings set according to one of your own experts
....and I have had only 2-3 of the Swen messages within the last 3 days.
But, as of 4:00 this afternoon, I got a sudden large influx of them, and 90%
were those what I had set rules to block and they had been working well.
But, suddenly, they were no longer working to block the messages. They were
obviously over riding the rules. That is what I am trying to explain. It is
not a matter of my not knowing how to set the rules, or what to do, or not
having proper AV or the other, it is a matter of the thing seems to have
found a way to over ride the the message rules. It is just suddenly
ignoring them. THAT is what I am trying to tell say.

I am just trying to pass on a piece of information that I have experienced,
but, obviously it is easier to chalk it up to my ignornace.

Bart Bailey

In Message-ID:<fpSeb.36797$gv5.2240@fed1read05> posted on Thu, 2 Oct
I am just trying to pass on a piece of information that I have experienced,
but, obviously it is easier to chalk it up to my ignornace.

Chill neighbor,
you're needlessly compromising your health,
and possibly alienating any potential help.

I don't use OE, so can't be of specific assistance, but the way you
describe once functional features losing their functionality might be a
clue to something.
Have you run an AV scan to assure that something hasn't bit you?
Maybe some option box got un-checked accidentally,
happens to me from time to time,
or maybe there's a limit to the number of arguments a rule can
accommodate, and as new words are added, previous ones are rolling off?
I can endorse the pre-screener (Mailwasher Pro) I'm using as being
effective in my case, and it might be worth exploring its utility to
yourself. Doesn't look like swen is going away anytime soon.