an open thought ... is your security any good?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
We have, here at PCReview, seen many people with infected PCs ... the fault of such infections falls partly on the users themselves, but also on their 'choice' of security program they have chosen.

Many people have become too complacent, it-won't-happen-to-me attitude is just asking for trouble ... :rolleyes:

It appears that Trojan.Zlob/Codec remains the #1 threat. This is mainly due to the coordinated effort of the Malware writers and the Rogue Anti-Spyware community ... we have seen a good number of people falling foul of this practice here at PCReview.

While the detection rates have become better for the commercial Antivirus/Antispyware products, the "freeware" versions have failed to keep pace and are no longer recommended as a first-line of defense ... I really do urge all our readers to at least try one of the 'better' products, such as, KIS or NOD.

The huge rise in the amount of "Rogue Anti-Spyware products" really surprised me this year. Even exposing these fakes has done little to stem the tide ... what I would like to see is all the "Mag" sites run several reviews on these bogus products and get the main-stream media involved in exposing all the parties involved. At least bookmark THIS SITE and check for yourselves.

So folks remember it's important to keep all your software updated, as the trend now is to attack the 3rd party products as the malware writers are finding it harder and harder to attack Windows itself.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, not to be an awkward cuss but did we not have a case recently where my free Antivir detected a Trojan whereas another member's Kaspersky did not? Tis true I tell you :D

And it's also true that when I tried a trial version of Kaspersky - with every intention of purchasing it after the trial - it slowed my system down as much as Nortons probably would.

It is true there were settings you could make which would overcome the slowdown problem but if I'm going to lay out wedge I'd really like the product to work out of the box.

I won't totally discount using a paid program, Kaspersky can be had at OEM price from some e-tailers if purchased alongside components, but I'm not totally convinced they're worth the money once a year.

I use:

Antivir
AdAwareSE
Windows defender
Windows XP Firewall
A Hardware Firewall (Router)

And Avast on my Win 98 setup as Antivir won't work with Win 98.

Probably not the best setup, I'm reconsidering an alternative to AdAware, but it's done me ok so far (fingers crossed).

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
I'm still not quite sure I'm sold on the fact that paid programs are all that much better than some of the free ones. Perhaps people just need to choose "better" free programs ;) . However, as Mucks says, you still have to use common sense and not go around clicking on everything you come across.

AVG and AntiVir are still good antivirus programs in my opinion. So is avast! although I find it a resource hog. I know AVG is not well liked around here but it still works well regardless.

Online Armor, Jetico and Comodo offer excellent free firewalls that are at, or near, the top of the firewall foodchain. The free versions of Zone Alarm, Kerio and Outpost are slipping badly.

SUPERAntiSpyware, AVG Anti-Spyware and DrWeb CureIt are excellent, free, on-demand antimalware scanners. Comodo BOClean is a top notch antimalware program that runs in real time and currently has almost 50,000 trojans in it's database. SpywareBlaster is still a recommended program although AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy are falling behind badly. Some other alternatives (or additions) are:

Malwarebytes’ RogueRemover Free:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php
Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware public beta version 0.89:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
(Yes it's a beta but it may be worth a look;) )

If you want some paid programs I'd suggest NOD32 or KIS along with Online Armor security suite. Use a hardware firewall/router in addition to everything else and yes, be sure to keep everything up to date :) .

Just my opinions folks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm still not quite sure I'm sold on the fact that paid programs are all that much better than some of the free ones. Perhaps people just need to choose "better" free programs ;) . However, as Mucks says, you still have to use common sense and not go around clicking on everything you come across.

Always better trust me.
But I must say, in this battle ( not to say war ) between us, normal users who only want to do their jobs or enjoy on comps, against Malwares, I don't really think I can judge over people who have unpaid, pirate AV-s. I don't really care as I say.

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
GameMaster said:
Always better trust me.
Not sure what you mean here. Trust me, I can assure you that paid programs are not "always" better than free alternatives. Sometimes the only thing the freebies lack are scheduled updates and support.

GameMaster said:
I don't really think I can judge over people who have unpaid, pirate AV-s.
We're not talking about pirated software :) . Just free alternatives.

Regards, Dave :) .

Reaction score
Just said, pirate software is unpaid software.
Btw, ok if there are some exceptions between trial and Pro or sth...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
GameMaster said:
Just said, pirate software is unpaid software.

Obviously :rolleyes:

Just to clear up any misunderstandings:

1) There is pirate & Warez software which will be a counterfeit copy (software or hard copy) of a legitimate program that sells for money.

2) There is free software.

Examples of free Anti Virus programs are AVG, Antivir & Avast all of which, in my opinion, are good.

And I believe all of those three offer scheduled updates, Antivir certainly does.

And I can personally vouch that Antivir works, but to what degree it works compared to it's peers or rival paid programs - I know not.

So why do these AV software companies offer free programs? Simple.

From the thousands of users of their products - both free and paid - they get feedback. And with that constant feedback they get constant monitoring of the virus situation in the real world.

And from that information they can keep ahead with protection from nasties, thus making them competitive with their rivals. Data and protection are the key words.

Also, many people will like the stripped down free versions of the product and buy the full version.

To the original point of this thread - whether tis nobler to pay or not to pay, that is the question, I don't know.

I'm reasonably happy with what I'm using (see above) and it don't cost me a bean. So, for now, I'm happy :)

Ask a Question