Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#

Neville Lang

Hi all,

On a MenuItem, I want to pass an ampersand so that it displays on the menu
item, as in "Edit & Copy". In the past, I have simply used && as the &
usually allows an underline of the next character. However, in the CF if I
use either one or two ampersands in the text string, no ampersand ever
displays. Does this mean that CF does not allow ampersands in the Text
property of MenuItem or if so, what am I missing?

Regards,
Neville Lang

David So [MSFT]

Neville,

NetCF does not support ampersand in all menuitems, it strips off any
ampersand in menuitem. I'll try to see if there's any work around that you
can show it.

Thanks,
David

| From: "Neville Lang" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:02:02 +1000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Hi all,
|
| On a MenuItem, I want to pass an ampersand so that it displays on the menu
| item, as in "Edit & Copy". In the past, I have simply used && as the &
| usually allows an underline of the next character. However, in the CF if I
| use either one or two ampersands in the text string, no ampersand ever
| displays. Does this mean that CF does not allow ampersands in the Text
| property of MenuItem or if so, what am I missing?
|
| Regards,
| Neville Lang

David So [MSFT]

I've confirmed with our developer, ampersand will not be supported at all
in NetCF v1.0, but it would be supported in NetCF v1.0 SP2.

David
| From: (e-mail address removed) (David So [MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:36:11 GMT
| Subject: RE: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Neville,
|
| NetCF does not support ampersand in all menuitems, it strips off any
| ampersand in menuitem. I'll try to see if there's any work around that
you
| can show it.
|
| Thanks,
| David

rights.
| --------------------
| | From: "Neville Lang" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| | Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:02:02 +1000
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| |
| | Hi all,
| |
| | On a MenuItem, I want to pass an ampersand so that it displays on the
menu
| | item, as in "Edit & Copy". In the past, I have simply used && as the &
| | usually allows an underline of the next character. However, in the CF
if I
| | use either one or two ampersands in the text string, no ampersand ever
| | displays. Does this mean that CF does not allow ampersands in the Text
| | property of MenuItem or if so, what am I missing?
| |
| | Regards,
| | Neville Lang
| |
| |
| |

David So [MSFT]

My Correction.

Ampersand is supported in NetCF v1.0 SP2 but it only supported turning
character with underline. Currently it doesn't support the && parsing. This
would be something we would consider in future version of NetCF.

Thanks,

David
| From: (e-mail address removed) (David So [MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:36:11 GMT
| Subject: RE: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Neville,
|
| NetCF does not support ampersand in all menuitems, it strips off any
| ampersand in menuitem. I'll try to see if there's any work around that
you
| can show it.
|
| Thanks,
| David

rights.
| --------------------
| | From: "Neville Lang" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| | Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:02:02 +1000
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| |
| | Hi all,
| |
| | On a MenuItem, I want to pass an ampersand so that it displays on the
menu
| | item, as in "Edit & Copy". In the past, I have simply used && as the &
| | usually allows an underline of the next character. However, in the CF
if I
| | use either one or two ampersands in the text string, no ampersand ever
| | displays. Does this mean that CF does not allow ampersands in the Text
| | property of MenuItem or if so, what am I missing?
| |
| | Regards,
| | Neville Lang
| |
| |
| |

Neville Lang

David,

While for the most part, I generally use single words on PPC menus, there
has been a time when I needed to use two words separated by the ampersand
(&) and this is where the "&&" failed. At present my workaround is to use
the word "and" but this makes the string a bit long. Any future help in this
area would be appreciated.

Regards,
Neville Lang

David So said:
My Correction.

Ampersand is supported in NetCF v1.0 SP2 but it only supported turning
character with underline. Currently it doesn't support the && parsing. This
would be something we would consider in future version of NetCF.

Thanks,

David
| From: (e-mail address removed) (David So [MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:36:11 GMT
| Subject: RE: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Neville,
|
| NetCF does not support ampersand in all menuitems, it strips off any
| ampersand in menuitem. I'll try to see if there's any work around that
you
| can show it.
|
| Thanks,
| David

rights.
| --------------------
| | From: "Neville Lang" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| | Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:02:02 +1000
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| |
| | Hi all,
| |
| | On a MenuItem, I want to pass an ampersand so that it displays on the
menu
| | item, as in "Edit & Copy". In the past, I have simply used && as the &
| | usually allows an underline of the next character. However, in the CF
if I
| | use either one or two ampersands in the text string, no ampersand ever
| | displays. Does this mean that CF does not allow ampersands in the Text
| | property of MenuItem or if so, what am I missing?
| |
| | Regards,
| | Neville Lang
| |
| |
| |

Shanti

You can use 'n' instead, like "Read n Write", 'Jack n Jill', etc.

David So said:
My Correction.

Ampersand is supported in NetCF v1.0 SP2 but it only supported turning
character with underline. Currently it doesn't support the && parsing. This
would be something we would consider in future version of NetCF.

Thanks,

David
| From: (e-mail address removed) (David So [MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:36:11 GMT
| Subject: RE: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Neville,
|
| NetCF does not support ampersand in all menuitems, it strips off any
| ampersand in menuitem. I'll try to see if there's any work around that
you
| can show it.
|
| Thanks,
| David

rights.
| --------------------
| | From: "Neville Lang" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| | Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:02:02 +1000
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| |
| | Hi all,
| |
| | On a MenuItem, I want to pass an ampersand so that it displays on the
menu
| | item, as in "Edit & Copy". In the past, I have simply used && as the &
| | usually allows an underline of the next character. However, in the CF
if I
| | use either one or two ampersands in the text string, no ampersand ever
| | displays. Does this mean that CF does not allow ampersands in the Text
| | property of MenuItem or if so, what am I missing?
| |
| | Regards,
| | Neville Lang
| |
| |
| |

Neville Lang

Shanti,

Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Neville Lang

David So said:
My Correction.

Ampersand is supported in NetCF v1.0 SP2 but it only supported turning
character with underline. Currently it doesn't support the && parsing. This
would be something we would consider in future version of NetCF.

Thanks,

David
| From: (e-mail address removed) (David So [MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:36:11 GMT
| Subject: RE: Ampersand query in MenuItem Text, C#
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Neville,
|
| NetCF does not support ampersand in all menuitems, it strips off any
| ampersand in menuitem. I'll try to see if there's any work around that
you
| can show it.
|
| Thanks,
| David