AMD FX-8350 Heat Sink Question?

Don

I'm thinking of building a system around the AMD FX 8350 Piledriver.
What I'm not sure of are the heat sink options for this processor. It's
my understanding that the 4 and 6 core processors come with a stock
cooling system, but not the 8 core version. I've come across water
cooling options, but can this processor be air cooled? I'm not planning
on overclocking the 8350 into the stratosphere. I will probably leave
it at the default settings. Can anyone recommend cooling options for
this processor?

Also, can anyone recommend a moderately priced mid tower computer case
suitable for this type of machine? Don't need a glowing orb gaming case.

Thanks

Don

I'm thinking of building a system around the AMD FX 8350 Piledriver.
What I'm not sure of are the heat sink options for this processor. It's
my understanding that the 4 and 6 core processors come with a stock
cooling system, but not the 8 core version. I've come across water
cooling options, but can this processor be air cooled? I'm not planning
on overclocking the 8350 into the stratosphere. I will probably leave
it at the default settings. Can anyone recommend cooling options for
this processor?

Also, can anyone recommend a moderately priced mid tower computer case
suitable for this type of machine? Don't need a glowing orb gaming case.

Thanks

Now I am confused. I watched a NewEgg YouTube video where the AMD rep
seemed to indicate that a cooler wasn't included with the 8350. I just
looked on NewEgg and under the details tab, it says that a cooler is
included.

Paul

Don said:
I'm thinking of building a system around the AMD FX 8350 Piledriver.
What I'm not sure of are the heat sink options for this processor. It's
my understanding that the 4 and 6 core processors come with a stock
cooling system, but not the 8 core version. I've come across water
cooling options, but can this processor be air cooled? I'm not planning
on overclocking the 8350 into the stratosphere. I will probably leave
it at the default settings. Can anyone recommend cooling options for
this processor?

Also, can anyone recommend a moderately priced mid tower computer case
suitable for this type of machine? Don't need a glowing orb gaming case.

Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

Details:

Model FD8350FRHKBOX

Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included

Pictures of the stock cooler are shown here. A bit weird, in terms
of being so "low profile".

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-8350-vishera-owners-club/2570

*******

Antec Sonata Proto was my idea of a cheap case. I took the door
off the top section, to make things accessible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129086

You can get cheaper cases. As the price drops, eventually
the metal is so thin the case is easier to damage. The cases
I was getting years ago, had thicker metal and were absolutely
bulletproof in that regard. The Proto was what I used for
my "cheap upgrade".

Just take the door off it...

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-129-086-Z02?$S640W$

Paul

peter

I would buy this...based on their reputation,Good Quality for the price
Room for fans as well as a radiator,easy to build into
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=62757&vpn=CC-9011012-WW&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1230

peter

"Don" wrote in message
I'm thinking of building a system around the AMD FX 8350 Piledriver.
What I'm not sure of are the heat sink options for this processor. It's
my understanding that the 4 and 6 core processors come with a stock
cooling system, but not the 8 core version. I've come across water
cooling options, but can this processor be air cooled? I'm not planning
on overclocking the 8350 into the stratosphere. I will probably leave
it at the default settings. Can anyone recommend cooling options for
this processor?

Also, can anyone recommend a moderately priced mid tower computer case
suitable for this type of machine? Don't need a glowing orb gaming case.

Thanks

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
sideways, chocolate in one hand, and wine in the other, body thoroughly used
up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Flasherly

I'm thinking of building a system around the AMD FX 8350 Piledriver.
What I'm not sure of are the heat sink options for this processor. It's
my understanding that the 4 and 6 core processors come with a stock
cooling system, but not the 8 core version. I've come across water
cooling options, but can this processor be air cooled? I'm not planning
on overclocking the 8350 into the stratosphere. I will probably leave
it at the default settings. Can anyone recommend cooling options for
this processor?

Also, can anyone recommend a moderately priced mid tower computer case
suitable for this type of machine? Don't need a glowing orb gaming case.

Thanks

Antec makes sensible cases on sale occasionally for as low as $30
(40ish is more common). Better than sensible, actually - quality
construction.

Believe so - air cooling. These aren't normal coolers, though, but
beefed up stuff I've seen recommended for stock replacement. Which
indicates there's more of an issue with the particular CPU past 4
cores requiring closer attention to cooling characteristics. Check
the reviews, sites and forum discussions for people running them.
Last I looked they stick out, easy to find, as do the brands of
heatsinks. Like I said, beefy for extra assurances and such over
closer tolerances apparently included with retail boxes.

I know. I've gotten a couple of kick-butt heatwick tower cooler/fans
cheap because they're not far behind but not quite up to the latest
processors. Run with my dual and single cores, though, like butter on
Easy Street. Very impressive cooling for setups formerly occupying
$50-$75 niche tiers.