From: "Dave M" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Getting updates
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 Newsgroups:
microsoft.private.security.spyware.general

....since it is the current update definition. Will that one work for you?

The problem is the site is going to change the download update name for
each new definition update, and nobody knows what that name is unless
they've already been updated with it, and the name has been logged in
windowsupdate.log

Hi Dave,

Thanks! I was able to download and install the March 30th definition.

However, how will I know what to download when the next definition is ready?

I'm suggesting that these updates should be readily available from Microsoft
without having to go through Windows Update, which I can't. How about having
these in the Downloads section?

Tom

Dave M

Yeap, that's certainly a challenge. I don't specifically know the
reasoning behind the name changing every update, though I'd venture a guess
that it involves Ms desire to only distribute these updates to GWV
customers, and perhaps some Microsoft Update distribution standards as
well.

The specific intent was to get you going with Defender, I suppose you could
ask for the name each update cycle in these forums... but that's pretty
lame sounding. How do you normally keep your Operating System up to date
if you can't access MsUpdates, surely you must have some process that keeps
you current? (like WSUS using a corporate server) Anyway I wanted to get
you going at least until you could get an alternative in place. There was
a past reference in these forums for how the Defender signatures get
authorized by the local admin if WSUS is the corporate update process, and
I'm in way over my head here already as I find Comcast Cable a plug & play
maze here at home.

Mention here how you normally update your OS critical updates... someone
here will know the answer...

Bill Sanderson MVP

The key to your issue is "not allowed to use Windows Update."

Does that also mean that your institution reserves the right to control what
software is installed?

If they run WSUS, the administrator can make Windows Defender definitions
available.

Yes, we are a huge Microsoft customer and all patches are applied to desktops
via SMS, I think... Using Windows Update on the desktop is forbidden by
policies.

We are not using Windows Defender Beta at the moment so there is no way that
I'll be able to get the updates from WSUS or any remote server. That's why I
need access to the downloads via a site that would simply post them. I think
this is reasonable to ask for given that the product is still at the Beta
stage.

Tom Solar