Alternate Rounding Up & Down of .50 in a column

HunterX

Hello,

I haven't had any success in trying to do the following:

I have a column of hours - all with .50 (such as 8.50, 7.50, 1.50, etc.)

I am trying to program a routine to go down the column cell by cell and
alternately round the first cell up to the nearest whole number, round the
second cell down to the nearest whole number, round the third one up to the
nearest whole number, etc.

I appreciate any help with this. Thank you !!

Roger Govier

Hi

Try
=IF(MOD(ROW(),2)<>0,ROUNDUP(A1,0),ROUNDDOWN(A1,0))

Depending upon whether the first row you are trying to Roundup is Odd (use
formula as is) or if even the change <> to =

Copy down as required
--

Regards
Roger Govier

HunterX said:
Hello,

I haven't had any success in trying to do the following:

I have a column of hours - all with .50 (such as 8.50, 7.50, 1.50, etc.)

I am trying to program a routine to go down the column cell by cell and
alternately round the first cell up to the nearest whole number, round the
second cell down to the nearest whole number, round the third one up to
the
nearest whole number, etc.

I appreciate any help with this. Thank you !!

signature database 5166 (20100602) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5166 (20100602) __________

http://www.eset.com

Jim Cone

Another way (requires the Analysis ToolPak)...
=MROUND(A1,2)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"HunterX" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Hello,
I haven't had any success in trying to do the following:

I have a column of hours - all with .50 (such as 8.50, 7.50, 1.50, etc.)

I am trying to program a routine to go down the column cell by cell and
alternately round the first cell up to the nearest whole number, round the
second cell down to the nearest whole number, round the third one up to the
nearest whole number, etc.
I appreciate any help with this. Thank you !!

Tom Hutchins

If the first number is in an odd-numbered row (cell A1 in my example), try
this formula:
=IF(MOD(ROW(),2)=1,CEILING(A1,1),FLOOR(A1,1))
and copy down.

If the first number is in an even-numbered row (cell A2 in my example), try
this version:
=IF(MOD(ROW(),2)=0,CEILING(A2,1),FLOOR(A2,1))
and copy down.

CEILING rounds up, FLOOR rounds down.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

T. Valko

round the first cell up to the nearest whole number
round the second cell down to the nearest whole number

Assuming the numbers start in cell A2, enter this formula in B2 and copy
down as needed:

=IF(MOD(ROWS(A$2:A2),2),A2+0.5,A2-0.5)

Gord Dibben

With Analysis Toolpak add-in loaded.

In an adjacent column enter.

=IF(ISEVEN(ROW()),ROUNDDOWN(A1,0),ROUNDUP(A1,0))

Copy down.

If not the pattern you need, swap the ROUNDDOWN and ROUNDUP or rplace ISEVEN
with ISODD

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP