All Hallows' Evening

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
All Hallows' Evening, otherwise known as Halloween, can also go under the names of All Saints' Eve, All Hallows' Eve and Allhalloween, and is thought to have originated as an ancient Celtic Harvest Festival which was later pinched by the Christians. It preceded All Saints' Day (All Hallows' Day) on Nov 1 and All Souls' Day, Nov 2.

It was, therefore, a three day festival remembering the dead, including saints (also known as hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed. There was a lot of dressing up and partying often with a macabre touch.

On All Hallows' Eve, many Western Christian denominations encouraged abstinence from meat, hence the vegetable side to things, particularly, in later years, pumpkins.

It later morphed into the commercial event that we now have to put up with and lots of jokes have developed.........

Halloween.JPG

Halloween2.JPG

Halloween3.JPG

halloween4.JPG

Have fun ! :D

Reaction score
Such a shame that celebrations like Christmas, Easter, Halloween and other religious festivals in this country have been hijacked to just money for greedy companies and the people celebrating the festival have no idea of the meaning of the festival, nor have a care it is an excuse to spend lots of dosh and have a good time but no idea of the meaning of the festival. Rather like the people who fill in a form and when asked what religion write C of E but have never darkened the doors of a church except when they got married or had the children baptised.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
We were in Wales with friends over the weekend, and got dressed up last night. All good fun :D

Well, apart from my little incident... I discovered I can moonwalk, so I went into the kitchen to show my brother when I proceeded to execute a decent attempt at a moonwalk... followed by a stumble... with a glass in my hand... all while dressed like a cat :lol:

So I am now nursing a sore paw. Cut my hand pretty badly, but got it taped back together today. Ouch! :wall:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Those are excellent! The Negan one is really good :nod:

I've seen a few good Donald Trumpkins too :lol:

Reaction score
We were in Wales with friends over the weekend, and got dressed up last night. All good fun :D

Well, apart from my little incident... I discovered I can moonwalk, so I went into the kitchen to show my brother when I proceeded to execute a decent attempt at a moonwalk... followed by a stumble... with a glass in my hand... all while dressed like a cat :lol:

So I am now nursing a sore paw. Cut my hand pretty badly, but got it taped back together today. Ouch! :wall:

Oh Poor Becky, I hope it heals quickly thinking of you with your sore paw.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
At least you had a smashing time. :thumb:

Ba dum tsssss! :lol:

Had to go to the hospital again this morning because the steristrips didn't hold, so they have redressed it without the strips. It'll take longer to heal, but should be ok :cheers:

Reaction score
My thought s are with you Becky I know how it hurts I have a reminder in my ball of my thumb when I had a accident when I was in the Fire Service and got a scar to prove it, I was on light duties for weeks.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ouch! Sounds nasty @bootneck02. Mines doing better already, although my hand is getting a bit weak from the restricted movement. Thankfully it's not my dominant hand!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Phew, that's that malarkey over for another year, those USA types have a lot to answer for, the whole sorry spectacle is of stuff and nonsense :mad:

Sorry to hear about your injury Becky :(

In '79 or '80 a wine glass caused me a rather severe laceration, a wound that caused me to spend the early hours of a Sunday morning in the casualty department of Queen Marys Hospital in Sidcup receiving 12 stitches in my muscle and another 12 above the muscle in my top skin.

Prior to the stitches I received a local anaesthetic and a surgeon spent 30 minutes removing embedded glass splinters. The wound was in the centre of my back a mere 20mm from my spinal cord. Had the puncture wound been a little over I could easily have suffered permanent paralysis.

No, it wasn't a brawl but how I came to receive this injury is a bit, um, naughty. It probably wouldn't do to share this sorry tale on a family forum ;) I still have the scar but no lasting damage, I was very lucky.

Reaction score
Phew, that's that malarkey over for another year, those USA types have a lot to answer for, the whole sorry spectacle is of stuff and nonsense :mad:

Sorry to hear about your injury Becky :(

In '79 or '80 a wine glass caused me a rather severe laceration, a wound that caused me to spend the early hours of a Sunday morning in the casualty department of Queen Marys Hospital in Sidcup receiving 12 stitches in my muscle and another 12 above the muscle in my top skin.

Prior to the stitches I received a local anaesthetic and a surgeon spent 30 minutes removing embedded glass splinters. The wound was in the centre of my back a mere 20mm from my spinal cord. Had the puncture wound been a little over I could easily have suffered permanent paralysis.

No, it wasn't a brawl but how I came to receive this injury is a bit, um, naughty. It probably wouldn't do to share this sorry tale on a family forum ;) I still have the scar but no lasting damage, I was very lucky.

Oh I think we would like to hear the story Mr Flops:nod::nod::nod::lol::lol::lol::lol::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Wow, that's quite an injury! I'm glad mine was nowhere near that bad. I'll second the story request though :lol::nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure how... but I managed to miss this thread :eek: until now.

I'm sorry to hear about your moonwalking mishap @Becky, but glad the RSPCA managed to fix-up your poorly paw! Hope it will heal quickly.

You know... we really need some pics of you dressed as a feline. I'm sure you made a really cool cat! :D