AGP 4X card voltage in 2x mobo okay?

Darren

Hi

I've just been given a **Viper v7700 deluxe 32mb tvr video card, which
supports 4x and 2x AGP (and requires 3.3 volts** according to the manual).

I've just unplugged the card to replace the fan and the PC tech. at the
local shop informs me there could be a voltage issue between video card and
mobo.

My mobo supports **AGP 2x only and is a GA-6VX7**.

I've run the video card with the mobo for about an hour and no visible,
audible or aromatic signs of a problem as yet...

I think everything should be fine as the mobo manual says that the card
supports both 4x and 2x. You might know better.

Thanks

Darren

Also, if you can be bothered. I'm running 98SE with only 64mb of ram and
32mb graphics ram. What aperture size in mb should I use in the bios?
(Presuming...) Ta.

Gary Hendricks

Hi

I don't think there will be problems running that Viper v7700 on your
mothorboard. But can I check what motherboard you're using?

Sincerely,
Gary Hendricks, Build-Your-Own-Computers.com
Step-by-step guides for setting up your own computer:
http://www.build-your-own-computers.com

Darren

Thanks for replying Gary.

The motherboard is a Gibabyte GA-6VX7, F2 Bios revision. 1999? Runs a
socket 370 CPU up to about 566mhz, currently 433 celeron.

Thanks again

Darren

Darren

Thanks Michael

Coincidentally, I searched the web and found that site and now believe my
card to be an 'AGP Universal graphics card',s as the connectors are
identical to the photo labelled 'AGP Universal graphics card'

That means I'm okay in this instance and my card will handle both 3.3v and
1.5v

Cheers

Darren

kony

Hi

I've just been given a **Viper v7700 deluxe 32mb tvr video card, which
supports 4x and 2x AGP (and requires 3.3 volts** according to the manual).

I've just unplugged the card to replace the fan and the PC tech. at the
local shop informs me there could be a voltage issue between video card and
mobo.

My mobo supports **AGP 2x only and is a GA-6VX7**.

It will work in your board. GA-6VX7 has an AGP universal
slot which can do anything from 1X to 4X cards. Of greater
concern is that your board likely has some marginal
capacitors, I had several of them and their similar Gigabyte
cousins come back to me with vented caps. They were
green-sleeved, "maybe" GSC brand with a gold stripe, or
maybe G-Luxon black and gold stripe, I forget at the moment.

I've run the video card with the mobo for about an hour and no visible,
audible or aromatic signs of a problem as yet...

It wouldn't have worked at the start if it weren't
compatible. Some of the cards had an AGP jumper on them
though, if yours is set to 2X, you might try 4X.

I think everything should be fine as the mobo manual says that the card
supports both 4x and 2x. You might know better.

Also, if you can be bothered. I'm running 98SE with only 64mb of ram and
32mb graphics ram. What aperture size in mb should I use in the bios?
(Presuming...) Ta.

Aperture size will not be an issue except for gaming, and
with the whole system having only 64MB memory you aren't
really equipped for any game using more than the 32MB
already on the card. Set it to a low value if the board can
do so stabily, like 32 or 64MB, though because of above
limitation in system memory towards limiting gaming, it
wouldn't matter in use which value you chose. 64MB was the
most common stable setting, IIRC.

Gary Hendricks

Hi Darren

The Gibabyte GA-6VX7 should be able to take your AGP card, because it
has an AGP slot. However, any reason why you're still on Win98? Just a
personal opinion that Win98 is really (almost unusable) these days if
you need to do a lot of multimedia work.

2. Gary Hendricks Oct 19, 1:03 pm show options
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware
From: "Gary Hendricks" <[email protected]> - Find messages
by this author
Date: 18 Oct 2005 22:03:31 -0700
Subject: Re: AGP 4X card voltage in 2x mobo okay?
original | Remove | Report Abuse

Hi

I don't think there will be problems running that Viper v7700 on your
mothorboard. But can I check what motherboard you're using?

Sincerely,
Gary Hendricks, Build-Your-Own-Computers.com
Step-by-step guides for setting up your own computer:
http://www.build-your-own-computers.com

kony

Hi Darren

The Gibabyte GA-6VX7 should be able to take your AGP card, because it
has an AGP slot. However, any reason why you're still on Win98? Just a
personal opinion that Win98 is really (almost unusable) these days if
you need to do a lot of multimedia work.

.... and this is based on what exactly?

It does have the 4GB file size limit since it doesn't
support NTFS *natively*, but 98SE does support WDM audio,
all the major video capture chips (except "maybe" the very
newest) have Win98 drivers. Certainly there is no problem
installing codecs, playing back media, nor capturing
providing you use a front-end that runs on Win98, which most
did. What else is there?

Sure, win98 is not the "best" option, don't mean to imply it
is, but on the other hand the reason to upgrade would be
based on specific needs rather than an assumption.

Gary Hendricks

Yes I agree kony. I guess I'm a little too used to Windows XP :)

I had some bad experiences with Win98. Especially having to download
and install some patch before I can use USB devices, plus various blue
screens and hang-ups - it was horrendous.

Sincerely,
Gary Hendricks, Build-Your-Own-Computers.com
The best PC hardware tutorials and how-to guides:
http://www.build-your-own-computers.com

kony

Yes I agree kony. I guess I'm a little too used to Windows XP :)

I had some bad experiences with Win98. Especially having to download
and install some patch before I can use USB devices, plus various blue
screens and hang-ups - it was horrendous.

USB is one of WIn98's weakest points... but ironically it's
not really MIcrosoft's fault, rather the driver
manufacturers just didn't put the time into developing their
products properly. I archive a lot of old drivers and find
same kinds of issues with early win2k or Xp drivers, that
"eventually" the drivers catch up and work on 98, 2K, and
XP... So XP tends to get credit for a lot of unrelated
things, a simple maturity of the entire industry year after
year produced better drivers, and even better ones today.

Darren

Hi guys

This PC is for our young kids to learn maths/play simple games.

I run 98se with the 'Unofficial Service Pack' that I download from time to
time.
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

It runs stable enough. I do have XP SP2 on it also for the moment but with
64mb ram, it runs like a turtle.

So our needs of this machine are simple. It doesn't crash all that often
for us or I'd change the PC/OS, as I don't want to run into the kids room
fixing a blue screen every hour. Our other PC's are running XP.

Points taken though.

Cheers

Darren

Darren

Thanks heaps Kony.

I'll check the caps as I've had that problem before.

Aperture size duly noted.

No jumper on the card. It does have a voltage/temp monitoring software
utility that I'll install though, just for interest/peace of mind.

Cheers

Darren