After server restart Dns zone is disappears

i noticed that every time that we restart our dns server for the child1
domain (child1.dom.org) that the root domain is gone (dom.org).
Both server are windows 2000 with the latest service pack.
The child domain has a secondary zone for the root domain.

OS -> srv name : role

Windows2k -> srv1. : root dns Primary Zone
Windows2k -> srv2. : child1.root.dns Primary Zone ,secondary zone from root
dns
Windows2k -> srv3. : child2.root.dns Primary Zone ,secondary zone from root
dns

There are no events logged that the zone disappears or something like that .
If i recreate the zone all is fine till the next restart.
The problem occurs only on serv2.
On the srv3 (another child donain) it is working properly.

What can cause the zone to disappear?How can i prevent it?

best regards

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Rex Kremer said:
Hi,

i noticed that every time that we restart our dns server for the
child1 domain (child1.dom.org) that the root domain is gone (dom.org).
Both server are windows 2000 with the latest service pack.
The child domain has a secondary zone for the root domain.

OS -> srv name : role

Windows2k -> srv1. : root dns Primary Zone
Windows2k -> srv2. : child1.root.dns Primary Zone ,secondary zone
from root dns
Windows2k -> srv3. : child2.root.dns Primary Zone ,secondary zone
from root dns

There are no events logged that the zone disappears or something like
that . If i recreate the zone all is fine till the next restart.
The problem occurs only on serv2.
On the srv3 (another child donain) it is working properly.

What can cause the zone to disappear?How can i prevent it?

best regards

That's because of a conflict. The child zone is a child of the parent zone
you are trying to create, therefore the system will yank it. That won't
work. In your scenario, you must use a delegation to make this work where
you are delegating the child zone from the parent to the DNS servers in the
child domain. Then you configure a Forwarder back from the child to the
parent, then a forwarder on the parent to the ISP's.

255248 - HOW TO Create a Child Domain in Active Directory and Delegate the
DNS Namespace to the Child Domain:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255248

--
Ace

confers no rights.

If this post is viewed at a non-Microsoft community website, and you were to
respond to it through that community's website, I may not see your reply
unless that website posts replies back to the original Microsoft forum.
Therefore, please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup
this thread originated in so all can benefit or ensure the web community
posts it back to the original forum.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer
=================================

thats not correct.
I am doing a secondary zone from the root domain in the child domain to
speed up the name resolution.It works fine in every other child domain (we
got 5 child domains!).The error occours only on srv1.
In the case like you said it would happen in every child domain (the
configuration is the same) and that is not happening.

Every child domain got an own primary dns zone and has a secondary zone for
the other domains (for faster name resolution).Forwarders are set.
Forwarders are set to the root domain.

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Rex,

Thanks for posting here.

I understand that after rebooting, one of the secondary zones disappears
from the DNS MMC snap-in in a Windows 2000 server.

In this case, I would like to know whether the DNS zone file for the
secondary zone of root domain still exists in the %SystemRoot%\system32\dns
folder when the zone disappears from the MMC?

If so, this may be caused by an AD integrated zone which has the same name
with the secondary zone.

You may open AD Users and Computers MMC, locate System -> MicrosoftDNS, if
you find a Ad zone with the same name (dom.org as you mentioned) as the
secondary zone, please delete the AD zone for a test.

Restart the server to see whether this resolve your issue.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>

Hi Tom,

the dns zone file has the creation date of the day when i recreated the dns
zone.
ALL zones and files got different names.
We don`t have any ad integrated dns zones.

regards

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Rex Kremer said:
Hi,

i noticed that every time that we restart our dns server for the
child1 domain (child1.dom.org) that the root domain is gone (dom.org).
Both server are windows 2000 with the latest service pack.
The child domain has a secondary zone for the root domain.

OS -> srv name : role

Windows2k -> srv1. : root dns Primary Zone
Windows2k -> srv2. : child1.root.dns Primary Zone ,secondary zone
from root dns
Windows2k -> srv3. : child2.root.dns Primary Zone ,secondary zone
from root dns

There are no events logged that the zone disappears or something like
that . If i recreate the zone all is fine till the next restart.
The problem occurs only on serv2.
On the srv3 (another child donain) it is working properly.

What can cause the zone to disappear?How can i prevent it?

This is really pretty common, a disappearing secondary zone, is the symptoms
of a DC that has the same zone on another DC that is AD integrated. Check
all zones on all DCS.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Rex Kremer said:
Hi,
thats not correct.
I am doing a secondary zone from the root domain in the child domain
to speed up the name resolution.It works fine in every other child
domain (we got 5 child domains!).The error occours only on srv1.
In the case like you said it would happen in every child domain (the
configuration is the same) and that is not happening.

Every child domain got an own primary dns zone and has a secondary
zone for the other domains (for faster name resolution).Forwarders
are set. Forwarders are set to the root domain.

Rex, when I replied, I was assuming the zone was AD Integrated, for that is
what I meant by "conflict". As what has been mentioned by Kevin and Tom.
Their replies should help you out.

If not sure, and you don't see the zone(s) in any of your DCs, you can use
the ADSI Edit utiltiy, under the DomainNC partition/System/Microsoft DNS. In
the right pane, you will see the zones in the list, if they are AD
Integrated.

ADSI Edit is available by installing the Support Tools from the Windows
CDROM. Once installed, since this is Windows 2000, you will see ADSI Edit
snap-in available in Start/Programs/WIndows Support Tools.

Ace

we don`t have any ad integrated dns zones.
How can i monitor that the zone file does not get deleted.
i could audit the file access but by which group ?
DO you have any other ideas what i could do ?

regards

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Rex Kremer said:
Hi,

we don`t have any ad integrated dns zones.
How can i monitor that the zone file does not get deleted.
i could audit the file access but by which group ?
DO you have any other ideas what i could do ?

regards

Did you use ADSI Edit to confirm that?

Ace

sry i thought it was only necessary if we had an ad integrated zone.
Ok i have cheked it with adsi edit and it shows our root dns zone (dom.org).

dc=dom.org
dc=rootdnsservers

Tom said that i should delte this entry`s?
How can i do a backup of them just in case something is not working later.

regards

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Rex,

Thanks for posting here.

I understand you find the following from ADSI Edit:

dc=dom.org
dc=rootdnsservers

Are they listed under ADSI Edit -> Domain [DCname.DomainName] ->
DC=xx,DC=xx -> CN=System -> CN=MicrosoftDNS?

If so, I think this is the root cause indeed.

I understand you don't want to delete dom.org directly. So, you may rename
it, such as dom.org.bak, and then test the issue again.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>
<#[email protected]>

Hi Tom,
see comments below.
thx

Tom Che said:
Hi Rex,

Thanks for posting here.

I understand you find the following from ADSI Edit:

dc=dom.org
dc=rootdnsservers

Are they listed under ADSI Edit -> Domain [DCname.DomainName] ->
DC=xx,DC=xx -> CN=System -> CN=MicrosoftDNS? yes thats right.

If so, I think this is the root cause indeed.

I understand you don't want to delete dom.org directly. So, you may rename
it, such as dom.org.bak, and then test the issue again.
So i only have to rename the dc=dom.org entry?

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Rex Kremer said:
Hi Tom,
see comments below.
thx

Tom Che said:
Hi Rex,

Thanks for posting here.

I understand you find the following from ADSI Edit:

dc=dom.org
dc=rootdnsservers

Are they listed under ADSI Edit -> Domain [DCname.DomainName] ->
DC=xx,DC=xx -> CN=System -> CN=MicrosoftDNS? yes thats right.

If so, I think this is the root cause indeed.

I understand you don't want to delete dom.org directly. So, you may
rename it, such as dom.org.bak, and then test the issue again.
So i only have to rename the dc=dom.org entry?
Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hi Rex,

I believe you already mentioned you changed the zone called "dom.org" to a
Primary zone? Is that correct? Please double check the dom.org zone
properties on ALL your DCs. If the zone is a Primary on one of the DCs, and
the zone on all of the others do not show up, on the DC that is set to as a
Primary, I would check the system32\dns folder to ensure that zone actually
exists as a file called "dom.org.dns". If it exists, copy it to another
location just to back it up.

Once you've bbacked it up, I would then suggest to delete all instances of
the secondary zone on ALL of the other DCs, then delete the reference you've
found in ADSI Edit. Once that has been done, force replication between your
DCs thru Active Directory Sites and Services. If you have Sites configured,
wait until the next replication cycle (default is 3 hours unless you've
changed it).

If you want to keep it as an AD Integrated zone, (recommended method), then
I would go back into the zone on the DC holding the Primary zone copy, and
turn it into an AD Integrated zone. Then on the other DCs, wait until
replication occurs, and the zone should pop up automatically without doing
anything. Patience is the key here.

If it never pops up on those servers, then that would be an indication of an
AD problem. I would then suggest to post any Event log errors concerning AD
Netlogon, NTFRS and anything in the System logs.

I hope that helps.
Ace

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Rex,

Thanks for your reply.

I noticed that you mentioned "we don`t have any ad integrated dns zones."
If you are very sure about this, you may feel free to rename the dom.org.

We may not need to rename rootdnsservers so far. Please let me know if
this method can help.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: After server restart Dns zone is disappears
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:41:05 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns

Hi Tom,
see comments below.
thx

Tom Che said:
Hi Rex,

Thanks for posting here.

I understand you find the following from ADSI Edit:

dc=dom.org
dc=rootdnsservers

Are they listed under ADSI Edit -> Domain [DCname.DomainName] ->
DC=xx,DC=xx -> CN=System -> CN=MicrosoftDNS? yes thats right.

If so, I think this is the root cause indeed.

I understand you don't want to delete dom.org directly. So, you may rename
it, such as dom.org.bak, and then test the issue again.
So i only have to rename the dc=dom.org entry?
Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

I have renamed the dc=dom.org entry and rebootet the server and the root
zone is still there ;-)
thank you everyone!

Best regards

Ace Fekay said:
In
Rex Kremer said:
Hi Tom,
see comments below.
thx

Tom Che said:
[...]

Rex Kremer said:
Hi,

I have renamed the dc=dom.org entry and rebootet the server and the
root zone is still there ;-)
thank you everyone!

Best regards

Sorry to hear that didn't work. Did you also try my suggestions?

Ace

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Rex Kremer said:
Hi,

I have renamed the dc=dom.org entry and rebootet the server and the
root zone is still there ;-)
thank you everyone!

Best regards

Rex, something just occured to me, you are mentioning the Root zone is still
there. If you look in your DNS console, under Forward Lookup Zones, is there
a Root zone? It will look like a period ("."). Does that exist?

Ace

you did get me wrong.
I changed the entry in adsi edit.
Rebooted the server and the secondary zone was there.
All is working fine now.
The dns zone did not disappear!

thx for your advice.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:41:05 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns

Hi Tom,
see comments below.
thx

From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:59:04 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns

Hi,

sry i thought it was only necessary if we had an ad integrated zone.
Ok i have cheked it with adsi edit and it shows our root dns zone
(dom.org).

dc=dom.org
dc=rootdnsservers

Tom said that i should delte this entry`s?
How can i do a backup of them just in case something is not working later.

regards

:

In Rex Kremer <[email protected]> made this post, which I then commented
about
below:
Hi,

we don`t have any ad integrated dns zones.
How can i monitor that the zone file does not get deleted.
i could audit the file access but by which group ?
DO you have any other ideas what i could do ?

regards

Did you use ADSI Edit to confirm that?

Ace

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Rex,

Sorry for my delayed response due to the weekend.

I appreciate your update and response, and I am glad to hear that the
problem has been fixed. Here's a summary of this post for your reference:

PROBLEM: after rebooting, one of the secondary zones disappears from the
DNS MMC snap-in in a Windows 2000 server.

CAUSE: there is an AD integrated zone which has the same name with the
secondary zone.

RESOLUTION: use ADSI Edit to locate the AD integrated zone and remove or
rename it.

Meanwhile, I would like to list the following question template here and
you can use it as a guideline for your future issues. By answering the
questions when submitting a post, it will greatly help us understand your
problem and situation more quickly. Thank you!

1. Has the server/client/product ever worked?
2. If so, what has been changed?
3. What service packs and updates were applied?
4. What are the steps to reproduce the problem?
5. Does it happen the same way on any other systems?
6. Please provide the exact error message with any screenshots if possible.

Please do not hesitate to post in this great newsgroup if you need any
assistance in the future. I look forward to working with you again.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>

From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:41:05 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns