after deploying application to different PC fails to connect to SQL database

G

Hi

I am new at using .net and am having trouble connecting to a SQL database from different PC than the application was developed on. I am using vb.net. Both the development pc and pc that will run the application have connections via ODBC to the appropriate database using SQL drivers.

I have developed an application that checks and updates a SQL database. The SQL database is held on a separate server that the application will not be deployed on. This application works fine on the pc it was develped on but when I try to deploy it to a different PC that connection appears to fail.

Both the development machine and the machine that I try to deploy on are running windows 2000. The installation of the application works and the application starts correctly. When I enter a value and then select update/cancel/report I get an error message that I built in indicating an error

Any advice on how to maintain/make connections to SQL database from the non-development pc would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

A

Aaron

Can you post the connect code? Have you used SQL Profiler to see if you
are even touching the SQL server? Are you using Windows or SQL
authentication? Are you using DSN, if so, is there an appropriate DSN
connection on the non development machine?

Aaron

G

Hi Aaron

thanks for responding.
Can you post the connect code

My connection code is (using VB.net):

myConnection = New SqlConnection("data source=SPEEDY;initial catalog=OpsAdminTest;integrated security=SSPI;persist security info=False"
Are you using DSN, if so, is there an appropriate DSN connection on the non development machine

The non-development machine has the SystemDSN connection to the OpsAdminTest database as it is an active database that we use for test developement of other services. My company does interactive voice services for various tv/radio/magazines and we use SQL to maintain the services
Are you using Windows or SQL authentication

We are using windows authentication for the SystemDSN connection to the database
Have you used SQL Profiler to see if you are even touching the SQL server

Sorry this question eludes my limited knowledge. How would I use SQL Profiler in my code to see if I am connection to the server

Again, thanks for any help

debbi

----- Aaron wrote: ----

Can you post the connect code? Have you used SQL Profiler to see if you
are even touching the SQL server? Are you using Windows or SQL
authentication? Are you using DSN, if so, is there an appropriate DSN
connection on the non development machine

Aaro

D

debbie

Aaron,

Replied in the microsoft group but found this in google. Will also
try here.
Are you using Windows or SQL authentication?

We are using windows authentication for the SystemDSN connection to
the database.
Have you used SQL Profiler to see if you are even touching the SQL
server?

Sorry this question eludes my limited knowledge. How would I use SQL
Profiler in my code to see if I am connection to the server?

Again, thanks for any help.

Debbie

Ask a Question