African Safari Trophy Hunter 3d

Nosferatu

Hello. Okay folks this is my last problem game.(for a while I hope) The game
installs fine but after clicking the icon to begin play the screen goes
black- ending my safari before it begins. Running Windows XP- Pent 4
process.-Radeon 9600 video card. Thanks. Mike

Jimmy S.

Hi,

Did anyone say patch? :)
ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/Mirrors/ftp.gamesdomain.co.uk/pub/patches/pc/3dcard-patches/a/asth11.zip

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Hello. Okay folks this is my last problem game.(for a while I hope) The game
| installs fine but after clicking the icon to begin play the screen goes
| black- ending my safari before it begins. Running Windows XP- Pent 4
| process.-Radeon 9600 video card. Thanks. Mike

Jimmy S.

Mike,

Please reply to and quote this thread if you need more assistance.

Thanks,
Jimmy.

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message | Hi,

| Did anyone say patch? :)
| ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/Mirrors/ftp.gamesdomain.co.uk/pub/patches/pc/3dcard-patches/a/asth11.zip
|
| --
| Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
|
| Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| _________________________________________________________
|
| | Hello. Okay folks this is my last problem game.(for a while I hope) The game
| | installs fine but after clicking the icon to begin play the screen goes
| | black- ending my safari before it begins. Running Windows XP- Pent 4
| | process.-Radeon 9600 video card. Thanks. Mike
| |
| |

Claye Hodge

Hi,

Did anyone say patch? :)
ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/Mirrors/ftp.gamesdomain.co.uk/pub/patches/pc/3dcard-patches/a/asth11.zip

I believe he is still having the same problem. I am having this
problem as well.. I too have tried the patch that was listed. I also
notice that cpu useage is in the 99% range even though it gives just
the black screen. I'm also able to start menu button... the button
between Ctrl and Alt... to get out of this situation, so it's not a
freezing issue. If you know of any way to help, thanks!

Windows XP
Athlon XP +1800
ATI Radeon 8500 LE

Jimmy S.

Hi Claye,

What exact error or error message are you experiencing?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:51:50 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:
|
| >Hi,
| >
| >Did anyone say patch? :)
| >ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/Mirrors/ftp.gamesdomain.co.uk/pub/patches/pc/3dcard-patches/a/asth11.zip
|

| I believe he is still having the same problem. I am having this
| problem as well.. I too have tried the patch that was listed. I also
| notice that cpu useage is in the 99% range even though it gives just
| the black screen. I'm also able to start menu button... the button
| between Ctrl and Alt... to get out of this situation, so it's not a
| freezing issue. If you know of any way to help, thanks!
|
| Windows XP
| Athlon XP +1800
| ATI Radeon 8500 LE

Claye Hodge

Hi Claye,

What exact error or error message are you experiencing?

No error, just a black screen and when I ctrl alt del out of it and
look at the task manager it says in the processes section in the CPU
column - the number range is 98 to 99. Seems a little bit high for an
older game.

Jimmy S.

Interesting.

Are all other games are working fine except for that one?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:40:44 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:
|
| >Hi Claye,
| >
| >What exact error or error message are you experiencing?
|
| No error, just a black screen and when I ctrl alt del out of it and
| look at the task manager it says in the processes section in the CPU
| column - the number range is 98 to 99. Seems a little bit high for an
| older game.

Jimmy S.

Hi Claye,

Although there were no more reported issues from "Nosferatu"
after I suggested the patch to him in November last year, since
you're still having issues despite the patch, and all your other
games are working properly, I won't suggest you adjust your
Windows video settings nor your graphic card's drivers, though
I will suggest you try African Safari Trophy Hunter 3d using
"Compatibility Mode".

To install a program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode, hold
down SHIFT as you insert the game CD, use My Computer to browse
to the setup program, and then skip down to step 1 in the list below:

To run an installed program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode,
first right click the program and "Send To..." / Desktop (create shortcut).

1.. Right click on the shortcut to the program.
2.. Click on Properties.
3.. Click on the Compatibility tab.
4.. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
a.. Windows 95
b.. Windows 98
c.. Windows NT 4
d.. Windows 2000
5.. Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is best:
a.. Run in 256 colors.
b.. Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
c.. Disable visual themes.

Click on Apply.Click on Ok.Double click on the program.

Of course, let's not forget to check for any patches or updates for that game.
A good place to find them is: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

If you'd like to learn more information about compatibility mode, you can click the
link in the Compatibility tab that reads "Learn more about program compatibility",
or watch this Application Compatibility Power Point Presentation:
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc112202/WC112202.ppt

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:47:21 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:
|
| >Interesting.
| >
| >Are all other games are working fine except for that one?
|
| Correct, other games work fine. Just that one game.

Claye Hodge

Hi Claye,

Although there were no more reported issues from "Nosferatu"
after I suggested the patch to him in November last year, since
you're still having issues despite the patch, and all your other
games are working properly, I won't suggest you adjust your
Windows video settings nor your graphic card's drivers, though
I will suggest you try African Safari Trophy Hunter 3d using
"Compatibility Mode".

To install a program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode, hold
down SHIFT as you insert the game CD, use My Computer to browse
to the setup program, and then skip down to step 1 in the list below:

To run an installed program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode,
first right click the program and "Send To..." / Desktop (create shortcut).

1.. Right click on the shortcut to the program.
2.. Click on Properties.
3.. Click on the Compatibility tab.
4.. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
a.. Windows 95
b.. Windows 98
c.. Windows NT 4
d.. Windows 2000
5.. Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is best:
a.. Run in 256 colors.
b.. Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
c.. Disable visual themes.

Click on Apply.Click on Ok.Double click on the program.

Of course, let's not forget to check for any patches or updates for that game.
A good place to find them is: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

If you'd like to learn more information about compatibility mode, you can click the
link in the Compatibility tab that reads "Learn more about program compatibility",
or watch this Application Compatibility Power Point Presentation:
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc112202/WC112202.ppt

Hey, thanks for the help and I tried all of that. Actually tried the
compatibility mode before posting on here, except for the <shift> when
installing it. Still the same, and I tried the patch as well. Also,
you might want to look at this, though you stated to quote your
original post if he wanted to reply..

From: "Nosferatu" <[email protected]>
Subject: african safari trophy hunter
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:24:43 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games

Hello. Thanks for getting back to me. I installed the patch but I
still get
a black screen after clicking icon to start play. What next? Mike

Claye Hodge

Also this post as well, later that evening it seems, hope you don't
mind. Figured we'd try the two birds/one stone thing. :)

From: "Nosferatu" <[email protected]>
Subject: african safari black screen
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 21:53:34 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games

Installed patch -Screen still black after clicking icon. Help. Mike

Jimmy S.

Perhaps it's time for some general Video Troubleshooting then. :)
Try the suggestions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Also this post as well, later that evening it seems, hope you don't
| mind. Figured we'd try the two birds/one stone thing. :)
|

| From: "Nosferatu" <[email protected]>
| Subject: african safari black screen
| Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 21:53:34 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games
|
| Installed patch -Screen still black after clicking icon. Help. Mike

Jimmy S.

Hi Claye,

If you tried ALL of those steps you might be right. :-s

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:50:41 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:
|
| >Perhaps it's time for some general Video Troubleshooting then. :)
| >Try the suggestions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers
|
| Sorry for replying late. I installed the ATI video drivers and tried
| ALL of the compatibility modes to no avail. I think we have a non-XP
| working program here. :) Still, the CPU process useage at 98% - 99%
| seems odd. Thanks.

Claye Hodge

Hi Claye,

If you tried ALL of those steps you might be right. :-s

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:50:41 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:
|
| >Perhaps it's time for some general Video Troubleshooting then. :)
| >Try the suggestions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers
|
| Sorry for replying late. I installed the ATI video drivers and tried
| ALL of the compatibility modes to no avail. I think we have a non-XP
| working program here. :) Still, the CPU process useage at 98% - 99%
| seems odd. Thanks.

Sure did. Oh well, thanks for all the help. :)