Advice Wanted - New Spec, Retailers, etc.

Reaction score
Hi all, forum newbie alert!!!

Right, where do I start? Hmmm, maybe by giving you details on my current spec and wish list. I’m using a P3 1Gig machine, with 128Mb RAM (was 3 times that before I had a motherboard issue that blew two slots), ATI Radeon 64Mb VIVO and a 19” Samsung CRT monitor. Having limped along for long enough following the motherboard disaster, I’ve decided to spend some cash/credit! The only problem is that I’ve got more questions than answers at present! My thoughts are…
  • AMD Athlon 64 3200+ rather than the equivalent P4.
  • 1Gig of DDR 3200 RAM provided I can afford it (518Mb if not).
  • I’m torn between an nVidia GeForce FX6800LE or an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.
  • I’d like a 17” DVI TFT, but I’m a little nervous about TFT's having never had one before (i.e. gaming response rate, image quality for Photoshop work, dead pixels, etc.).
  • The rest is standard really…largest SATA HD and fastest DVD writer I can afford, 5.1 sound, built-in memory card reader, XP installed, etc.
Now to the crunch…

If I go down the ‘But Now – Pay Later’ route, which company should I trust with my business? I’m leaning towards Mesh as I have a colleague that had a good experience with them. However, having read negative comments about virtually all the major mail order companies (Mesh, Carrera, Evesham, etc.) I’m starting to get cold feet. The only company that I’ve found with no real negative feedback is Leapfrog, but I have never heard of them and cannot find them in any of the magazine reviews, articles or even the ads section. Having been bitten by Time many years ago, I’m looking for advice on which retailer to trust in terms of build quality, technical back-up and delivering on their promises!

Alternatively, I could get a PC custom built using the ‘One Man Band’ amateur/pro approach. The benefits are obvious in terms of saving money and getting the personal touch, however, how the hell do you find someone that knows what they are doing, can provide good back-up and will not run off with my hard earned cash? I’m a simple software/Internet user and have no desire to get involved under the ‘hood’!

Can you help a newbie who feels like his head is running on a warp speed spin cycle? Any advice on the above spec, graphics card recommendation, TFT assurance, which retailer to use (if any), how to find a good builder (PC, not bricks and mortar) and Saturday’s lottery numbers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening (or should that be reading?).

ATB
Steve

‘Roaring to Glory’ with the mighty Tigers…

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Building a computer is pretty simple, you can easily do it on your own. Just get the parts from the online component shops like, www.overclockers.co.uk , www.komplett.co.uk , www.aria.co.uk , www.dabs.com , www.lowestonweb.com , www.ebuyer.com and www.savastore.com .

You'll have to buy and install windows XP youself, which is extrememly simple anyway :).

Heres a guide (though alittle dated, still relevant) to show you how easily its done http://www.daileyint.com/build/ .

Edit:

Best card for under £150 = Ati Radeon 9800pro , Best for under £300 = Geforce 6800GT OC and best for under £400 is the Ati Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thx Reefsmoka, any thoughts on this spec?
Aria "Dominator" Midi Tower with LCD
Abit KV8 Pro Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Skt-754 CPU
Corsair Value Select 512Mb PC3200 Memory
Maxtor 120Gb DiamondMax+9 SATA150/7200 8Mb Hard Drive
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb DDR AGP Graphics Card
Sony DWD22A Dual Layer DVDRW
Creative SB Live Digital 5.1 Sound Card
Creative Inspire 5.1 P580 Speakers
9-in-1 Card Reader + USB + Audio
17" Iiyama Prolite E435S 10ms TFT Monitor
Microsoft Wireless Desktop Optical Keyboard & Mouse
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
Aria price... £828.94 (+ VAT & Delivery)

Do I need to order anything else (i.e. cables, etc.)?

ATB
Steve

Reaction score
You'll need something to plug it all together! (cables)

Do you need a "Sony DWD22A Dual Layer DVDRW" it will be cheeper to get an ordinary DVD+RW

You may want 1 GB of RAM

Ask a Question