ADSI Edit "A Referral was returned from the server"

Andy Gibbs

I am trying to delete an invalid object in active directory. I have tried
to use metadata cleanup but I cannot delete this certain line. When I try
to use ldap.exe or ADSIedit to delete the attribute I get the error: "A
referral was returned from the server" and the entry will not delete. How
can I force this attribute to delete?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your post.

What object are you trying to remove? Based on my research, this error may
occur when trying to a non-existing domain. Please check the following KB
article to see if you are encountering the same issue:

274424 You Cannot Use ADSI Edit or Ldp.exe to Remove a Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=274424

I hope the above information helps. Thanks and have a nice day!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation