[ADP] What does the Where parameter in OpenForm filter?

Marshall Smith

I've seen a couple of references here and there that indicate that, in an
Access project, the Where parameter of the OpenForm command applies a
server-side filter on the data, rather than a client-side filter. I haven't
see any official notation on this one way or another. Is this true? I hope
so, as I've been using a combination of passing OpenArgs and then declaring
the ServerFilter in the Open Event of the form. It's awkward, and I'm
fairly sure not the cleanest way to handle it.

Vadim Rapp

Indirectly, it's stated in http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296049

MS> Is this true?

Yes.

MS> I hope so, as I've been using a combination of passing OpenArgs and
MS> then declaring the ServerFilter in the Open Event of the form. It's
MS> awkward, and I'm fairly sure not the cleanest way to handle it.

If the form's recordsource is sql statement, then use docmd.openform,,,<your
criteria>

If form's recordsource is stored procedure with parameters, you specify them
by InputParameters in the form. The criteria in OpenForm is ignored if the
recordsource is stored procedure.

Vadim

Vadim Rapp Consulting
SQL, Access, VB Solutions