From: "Wesley Vogel" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2006 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: Admin Install

Windows Installer does not run in Safe Mode. And will give error
messages
in the Event Viewer.

If the program needs Windows Installer to get installed, boot into Normal
mode and install the program.

Installing software in Safe Mode was a good idea with Windows 98, not a
good
idea with Windows XP.

[[The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
This can occur if you are running Windows in safe
mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly
installed. ]]
"The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error message when
you
install a program in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315353

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In
Nate said:
My friend has Windows XP Home.
He cannot install a program under safe mode admin or normal admin.

Any suggestions?

Maurice N ~ MVP

Take a look at this MS article
"Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" error message when installing application
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319624

--
Maurice N
MS-MVP Windows (Shell / User), Aumha.net VSOP , DTS-L

Nate said:
Anything?

Is there maybe a checkbox unchecked somewhere that may be causing this?

Nate said:
It WILL NOT run in normal mode, as I said. It give the error: Cannot
register proto.dll because soemthing about not enough privileges.

He tried in safe mode, but cannot. It has nothing to do with safe mode,
its the privileges that are screwy, how can we fix it?

[...]

In Nate <[email protected]> hunted and pecked: