Additional DC in AD domain

SB

I have setup an additional Domain Controller of a Windows 2000 domain. The
two servers are on the same subnet. The replicas between the two DC were ok.
I have promoted the secondary DC as Global Catalog. I want to check if the
additional DC is able to give the AD services without the need of the first
DC running.

Why this tests ?

I want to move my additional DC in another site (with sites, link, subnet)
to be the DC and GC for local PC, but I want to be sure that's fully
operational without its first DC
Before changing IP to the new subnet, I restart the additional DC GC
enabled, but I got errors in Event Viewer

3096 Netlogon
The Windows NT DC could not be contacted

It is normal ?
Do the additional DC need to contact its first DC in the domain ?

Thanks

Phil

Have you moved the FSMO roles prior to shutting one box
down? PDC emulator in particular.

What is the DNS solution for you clients to find the
dc's. If the first box is your only dns server ...

Phil

David Pharr [MSFT]

Is the actual error that you're getting as follows: "The Windows NT domain
controller for this domain could not be located"?

Is dns name resolution working properly and does everything else appear to
be working correctly? If you run "dcdiag /v" and "repadmin /showreps"
(without quotations) does it appear that all is replicating correctly and
functioning normally? If you create a new user on one DC does it replicate
to the other, and then if you delete it from the second dc does it delete
from the original? Are there any errors in the directory services log?

If this only happens once at startup and you don't see Netlogon errors at
any other time, you may be encountering a situation where the workstation
service tries to initialize and contact the PDC Emulator before the
netlogon service starts. If replication is working fine and you only see
this error at startup I wouldn't worry about it.

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)