adding news server in outlook 2003


G

Gary Metzler

Hi All,

I am using outlook 2003 windows xp home sr3. I would like to know if it is
possible to add a news service like msnews.microsoft.com to outlook? If so,
what are the steps? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks,

--

Regards, Gary Metzler
send to: (e-mail address removed)
http://www.outtasighttravel.com
Msn messenger: (e-mail address removed)
Skype name: garymetz
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Ken Blake, MVP

Hi All,

I am using outlook 2003 windows xp home sr3. I would like to know if it is
possible to add a news service like msnews.microsoft.com to outlook? If so,
what are the steps? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks,


No, no version of Outlook has ever contained a newsreader. By default
Outlook will go to Outlook Express when you invoke a newsreader from
it, but you can use any newsreader you prefer.
 
G

Gary Metzler

Hi Ken,

thanks for the quick responce. How would I link outlook express to outlook?
Or, is that possible? thanks,
 
G

Gary Metzler

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the information.
Diane Poremsky said:
No, it uses outlook express or vista's mail. See
http://outlook-tips.net/howto/news.htm for other options.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]



Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
mailto:[email protected]

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:
http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=22205

Gary Metzler said:
Hi All,

I am using outlook 2003 windows xp home sr3. I would like to know if it
is possible to add a news service like msnews.microsoft.com to outlook?
If so, what are the steps? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks,

--

Regards, Gary Metzler
send to: (e-mail address removed)
http://www.outtasighttravel.com
Msn messenger: (e-mail address removed)
Skype name: garymetz
 
R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

It already is, by default. The Go > News command in Outlook launches your
default news reader.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Gary Metzler said:
Hi Ken,

thanks for the quick responce. How would I link outlook express to
outlook? Or, is that possible? thanks,
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gordon

Russ Valentine said:
It already is, by default. The Go > News command in Outlook launches your
default news reader.

Actually no, it doesn't always. If you are using Outlook 2007 in Vista, the
Go-News command will ALWAYS launch Windows Mail, whether you have designated
another program as Default Newsreader or not.
It's hard coded....
 
D

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Besides the fact it won't work in Vista with LiveMail, many people can't
find go, news in the customize commands dialog.

The fix:
To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
OE (or mail) prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time
you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No
button.

Better is a shortcut on the start menu that adds /newsonly to the command
line (I'm not sure it works with LM.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]



Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
mailto:[email protected]

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:
http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=22205

Russ Valentine said:
It already is, by default. The Go > News command in Outlook launches your
default news reader.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gary Metzler

Hi All,

I just want to thank all the mvps for the help you gave me. I got the news
setup on my laptop. Thanks again. We really appreciate all that you do.
Gary Metzler said:
Hi Diane,

Thanks for the information.
Diane Poremsky said:
No, it uses outlook express or vista's mail. See
http://outlook-tips.net/howto/news.htm for other options.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]



Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
mailto:[email protected]

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:
http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=22205

Gary Metzler said:
Hi All,

I am using outlook 2003 windows xp home sr3. I would like to know if it
is possible to add a news service like msnews.microsoft.com to outlook?
If so, what are the steps? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks,

--

Regards, Gary Metzler
send to: (e-mail address removed)
http://www.outtasighttravel.com
Msn messenger: (e-mail address removed)
Skype name: garymetz
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top