Add Hardware Wizard

G

I have to use lots of workarounds when I need to install new hardware. Plug & Play devices don't launch it when plugged in. When I click on the 'Add Hardware' icon in Control Panel, it tries to launch but then I get a note that says I can't run 2 installations, and says that there is already another installation underway. As far as I know, there's nothing else being installed. To install drivers for new hardware, I have to go to Device Manager. The new hardware shows up in the device list with a yellow exclamation point or question mark, even if I have used the manufacturer's installation disk. I then have to re-install the drivers, and everything seems to work fine from that point on. How can I find out what installation process is in progress? How do I stop it and re-enable my Add Hardware Wizard?

X

-xiray-

How can I find out what installation process is in progress?
How do I stop it and re-enable my Add Hardware Wizard?

Though I've never seen the install wizard stall like you describe, I
suppose that you could....

Right click on the menu bar at the bottom of your screen, Choose Task
Manager and look at what applications are running.

To stop it you could highlight the entry and click end task.

G

I'm no expert but I've got exactly the same problem with my machine. Its taken months of asking questions but I think I've located the problem. Mine seems to be stuck in factory mode which has disabled the plug and play manager giving me the same warnings.

If you check in control pannel > adminastrtive tools > event viewer then click on the system btn you should find warnings posted by the plug and play manager saying that it is in 'factory mode'.

Also check on the drive that the windows folder is on for the 'sysprep' folder. It is my understanding that this folder should not be there, it is used when the machine is built and an OEM version of windows is installed and configerd.

for more info visit

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/introduction.asp

Unfortunatly I don't know how to fix the problem, I've been on the to manufactures and they've told me to reinstall windows and are adament that it is not thier fault. But I do not want to do this. I wouldn't go deleteing the sysprep folder either because it seems as if its involved in the start up process.

if its ever solved post a message back wit the solution :)

Mike

----- -xiray- wrote: -----

How can I find out what installation process is in progress?
How do I stop it and re-enable my Add Hardware Wizard?

Though I've never seen the install wizard stall like you describe, I
suppose that you could....

Right click on the menu bar at the bottom of your screen, Choose Task
Manager and look at what applications are running.

To stop it you could highlight the entry and click end task.

Ask a Question