Add Custom Dictionaries to PowerPoint 2003

• Thread starter David Newell via OfficeKB.com
  • Start date
D

David Newell via OfficeKB.com

Hi- I've just added some medical dictionaries to Word 2003 which work fine, but I'd like the PowerPoint 2003 spell checker to use them as well (it only seems to use the default dictionary). Any thoughts? Thanks!

T

TAJ Simmons

David,

Can you report back if this works for you?

from the powerpoint help file

About spelling dictionaries
Microsoft PowerPoint uses a dictionary of common words to check the spelling in a presentation. This dictionary is
shared with products such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. The spelling check will stop on words that are
misspelled or aren't in this dictionary, and you have the option to add the words to a custom dictionary at that point.
The custom dictionary is handy for specialty terms, such as medical terms or words unique to your work environment.

To broaden the type of text you can check for spelling, PowerPoint uses dictionaries of other languages as well as
supplemental dictionaries when installed by other programs in Microsoft Office.

from microsoft.com

Change the default custom dictionary
The default custom dictionary that you specify in Word is the one that words are added to when you select Add to
Dictionary during a spelling check. If you use one custom dictionary more than others, you can quickly make it the
default dictionary right from within the Custom Dictionaries dialog box:

1.. On the Tools menu, point to Options, and then click the Spelling and Grammar tab.
2.. Click Custom Dictionaries.
3.. If you want to add a new custom dictionary, click Add.
4.. Select the dictionary you want to use as your default, and then click OK. (This assumes that you've already added,
for example, Stedman's Medical Dictionary to your computer.)
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010483191033.aspx

From reading this.... it would look like you can add a medical dictionary to Word (part of microsoft office)... and
powerpoint would use the same dictionary. Whether or not it * does * work. I can only guess....or ask for feedback from
anyone who has tried it.

Cheers
TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
free powerpoint templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com

D

David Newell via OfficeKB.com

Hey TAJ, thaks for the response. I have in fact read this help file and it worked perfectly when I installed new dictionaries for Word. Unfortunately, the new dictionaries didn't carry over into PP as well: When I paste the exact same text into both applications, Word will recognize many of the words that PP identifies as misspelled.

The existing default dictionary is located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof\CUSTOM.DIC

The new dictionaries were installed into the folder:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF

Thanks again

Ask a Question