Activation key overused?!?

Simon Hunter

I didn't know this was possible - but I was just told by
the activation wizard I have used my activation key too
many times and that i have to enter a different product
key to activate. This actually happened a few days ago
and I now only a couple of weeks to activate windows or
it will "lock me out" (i think...)

I was never told I could only use the key a certain
number of times when I purchased Windows and I would like
to know if this is just a security measuer and I need to
phone or if I actually do need to buy another product key?

Any help wud b gr8 - thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

If you are unable to activate Windows XP again via the internet,
then select the option to "activate by telephone".

HOW TO: Activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307890

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

|I didn't know this was possible - but I was just told by
| the activation wizard I have used my activation key too
| many times and that i have to enter a different product
| key to activate. This actually happened a few days ago
| and I now only a couple of weeks to activate windows or
| it will "lock me out" (i think...)
|
| I was never told I could only use the key a certain
| number of times when I purchased Windows and I would like
| to know if this is just a security measuer and I need to
| phone or if I actually do need to buy another product key?
|
| Any help wud b gr8 - thanks

well i no that...im wondering if any1 nos of a way u can
either get around it or wateva...

Carey Frisch [MVP]

In your case, either you activate by telephone or you can wait
30 days and then reinstall Windows XP after you are prevented
from logging on. Then you'll get the opportunity to reinstall Windows
XP and activate it once again.

If you installed Windows XP on a different computer, and it is
still being used on another computer, then you'll have to purchase
a new license (Product Key) to activate the second installation.

You must purchase a new license (Product Key) for each
installation of Windows XP installed on a different computer.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Go to Start >Run box type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then click on the
"End-User License Agreement" and read it. Your answer
lies in that agreement.

You can also open XP's "Help and Support" and type: EULA
and hit enter. Click on "Questions and answers about the EULA".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

You have most likely spent more time trying to get around what you
can't than the aprox. 5 minute phone call would have taken.

Also, you are more likely to get a response if you write legibly.
Poor writing on your part = fewer responses from others possibly able
to help.
I almost quit at 3rd reading, I am sure many never tried once after
seeing whatever language you call it???

Mike

If you took as much time to learn about the operating system as you do
reloading in the event of a minor problem, you would not be in the mess that
you find yourself..

Simon Hunter

um-well i do no quite a lot about the operating system
and i reload every now and then coz i beta test for
companies and then want to get rid of the BETA software
after it cozes problems - and it ends up leaving registry
keys etc which i cudnt b bothered gettin rid of manually -
reinstall is generally easier and i just backup all the
files i want on the other harcd disk - and dont diss me
just coz u dont no the answer

Simon Hunter

just wanted info - no need 2 criticise...
and as foir the fewer responses thing - i dont think ive
ever seen a post with less responses...

Why don't you make a backup of the registry before installing the BETA software

Maybe you should learn how the registry and it's keys work, so you don't have to do those reinstalls

Mike

Testing of Beta programs is best left to those who KNOW how to remove them..
and we are all acutely aware why you are having activation problems.. most
people hu no quit a lot abot the XP OS aslo no that repeetid activashun is
frowned on by MS.. u may wnat to use a reg cleener program in futur..

Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
You Must Be American

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

If You would take your time to learn how English is used by the People who invented it the English like me and I presume Simon Hunter here. Rather than the old We Are American We Are The Best We Know Everything then maybe you could read a very simple piece of text in one go just like most of the 5 year olds here in the UK. If you americans are going to go around telling people how to use language then maybe you should make your own, I wish us Brits never created your country in the first place

Idiot

Jupiter Jones [MVP] said:
You have most likely spent more time trying to get around what you
can't than the aprox. 5 minute phone call would have taken.

Also, you are more likely to get a response if you write legibly.
Poor writing on your part = fewer responses from others possibly able
to help.
I almost quit at 3rd reading, I am sure many never tried once after
seeing whatever language you call it???

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> well i no that...im wondering if any1 nos of a way u can
> either get around it or wateva...

Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
What Are You On

Jupiter Stupider

Everyone knows that there is no software security in the world that can't be got around so if you don't know don't answer these people come here for help and you slag them down I hope it makes you feel good because it doesn't make you look good fool.

Jupiter Jones [MVP] said:
You have most likely spent more time trying to get around what you
can't than the aprox. 5 minute phone call would have taken.

Also, you are more likely to get a response if you write legibly.
Poor writing on your part = fewer responses from others possibly able
to help.
I almost quit at 3rd reading, I am sure many never tried once after
seeing whatever language you call it???

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> well i no that...im wondering if any1 nos of a way u can
> either get around it or wateva...

Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Minor Problem??

I didn't see any info about the reason he reinstalled how do u know it was a minor problem just because you reinstall your computer because the icons look to big doesn't mean everyone else does fool

Mike said:
If you took as much time to learn about the operating system as you do
reloading in the event of a minor problem, you would not be in the mess that
you find yourself..

news:[email protected]...