Freeware beats hands down many other paid-for HTML editors.
Author: -- Company: --
Home Page:
http://freeware.acehtml.com/
Download v 5.08.5 (2003-10-03) (acehtml5free.exe) (3.65 MB)
http://freeware.acehtml.com/download.html
(desc. rev.: 2004-01-06)

Links don't seem to work any longer.

But found it at and downloaded it from:
http://www.webattack.com/get/acehtmlfree.shtml

But http://www.snapfiles.com/get/acehtmlfree.html
Says: We are sorry, but the AceHTML 5 Freeware listing has been removed
and is no longer available from our site.

Anyone hosting the last freeware version? If it's a worthwhile app maybe
it could be?

ellis_jay

Mel said:
AceHTML 5 Freeware

I heard all of this Ace crap was spyware?

--
He released government from the restraint of law.
____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and

Ellis_Jay

elaich

Anyone hosting the last freeware version? If it's a worthwhile app maybe
it could be?

From http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/acehtmlfreeware/:

"Visicom Media announces that AceHTML 5 Freeware is discontinued and will
no longer be supported. Instead, we are focusing our efforts exclusively on
AceHTML Pro to provide you with the best-value Web-editing software."

From http://www.urban75.org/tech/acehtml.html:

"You can't activate the software until you've registered an email
address..."

Since the company has ceased support, it seems that they would no longer
allow registration.

I didn't find any references on Google about it being spyware.

Michael Laplante

ellis_jay said:
I heard all of this Ace crap was spyware?

I believe that was the name of another company, not this one. The other one
produced a freeware / spyware contact managment proggie as well as some
stuff that used MS Agent to read email, etc. They are no longer in business
AFAIK.

mike ring

Links don't seem to work any longer.

But found it at and downloaded it from:
http://www.webattack.com/get/acehtmlfree.shtml

But http://www.snapfiles.com/get/acehtmlfree.html
Says: We are sorry, but the AceHTML 5 Freeware listing has been removed
and is no longer available from our site.

Anyone hosting the last freeware version? If it's a worthwhile app maybe
it could be?

I used Acehtml a while back (before I got dreamweaver), and I thought it
was an excellent prog, right up there with evrsoft etc, miles better than
Nvu.

I had the lite (free) version, and liked it so much I paid money for the
pro version - which then went freeware!

The shrinks say I'll neve make a complete recovery.

So, IMO, well worth it unless somethings changed, but it looks the same.

mike

ellis_jay

Michael said:
I believe that was the name of another company, not this one. The
other one produced a freeware / spyware contact managment proggie as
well as some stuff that used MS Agent to read email, etc. They are no
longer in business AFAIK.

I checked and it was this one: (user reviews)

http://www.download.com/Ace-Zip/3640-2250_4-10375078.html?v=1

--
He released government from the restraint of law.
____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and
the Straussian neocons

Ellis_Jay

Susan Bugher

elaich said:
From http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/acehtmlfreeware/:

"Visicom Media announces that AceHTML 5 Freeware is discontinued and will
no longer be supported. Instead, we are focusing our efforts exclusively on
AceHTML Pro to provide you with the best-value Web-editing software."

From http://www.urban75.org/tech/acehtml.html:

the link works better without the colon. ;)

http://www.urban75.org/tech/acehtml.html
"You can't activate the software until you've registered an email
address..."

Since the company has ceased support, it seems that they would no longer
allow registration.

Omega (Karen) had this to say about registration: "AceHTML. . . .
First, it is registerware (who also demands one's info all over again on
each upgrade)."
I didn't find any references on Google about it being spyware.

It does apparently make a lot of entries in the registry - snippet from
a post from Frank Delamarre:

AceHTML5
Keys added: 764
Values added: 4348
(Files added: 248)

LFW version is v 5.09.1 It looks like there are two questions regarding
archiving a LFW of this app. Can it be legally distributed? Can it be
registered and used? Can anyone shed some light this?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

elaich

LFW version is v 5.09.1 It looks like there are two questions regarding
archiving a LFW of this app. Can it be legally distributed? Can it be
registered and used?

It cannot be registered any longer. I tried today.

It can be used without registering, but it nags you to death.

Susan Bugher

Wayfarer

Thus spake ellis_jay:
I heard all of this Ace crap was spyware?

I installed AceHTML 5 about a year ago and removed it because I
like TSW Webcoder 5 better. AceHTML kept popping up on the odd
context menu for months before I finally had jv16 Power Tools do
a specific search through the registry where I finally slew that
octopus once and for all.

Spyware? I don't think so. But it was definitely tentacle-ware.

Neill

--
Wayfarer
Journeys: http://www.journeys.ws/

Your eyes will be opened to a world full of beauty, charm and
adventure. - fortune cookie