AccountExpires Property in AD

Ryan

Hello,

I am working on some code that creates a new user object in AD and in
certain circumstances the AccountExpires property must be set. This value
exists as a Long (int64) value and so my question is this: How do I convert a
date value to an acceptable Long datatype using VB.Net code?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ryan,

Just performed some search and the long integer date value of
AccountExpires in AD seems convertable through the "FileTime" format of
DateTime class in .net. Here is a former thread which has discussed on this
and some additional validation will require. the code there read long int
value into DateTime, you may try the reverse way (DateTime class has both
ToFileTime and FromFileTime methods):

#Converting AD Expire Date to DateTime

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------VHdGrIQ==

Ryan

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. I did track down my answer shortly before getting
your response. You are correct that you need the System.DateTime.toFileTime
method to first convert the datatime to a long (int64). Then you need a
reference to activeds.tlb (COM tab in Add Reference) to access the class
ActiveDs.IADsLargeInteger and the code below converts the long integer into
IADsLargeInteger that ADSI will accept for these types of date fields:

Function GetLargeInteger(ByVal val As Int64) As IADsLargeInteger
Dim largeInt As New ActiveDs.LargeIntegerClass

largeInt.HighPart = CType((val >> 32), Integer)
val = val << 32
val = val >> 32
largeInt.LowPart = (Convert.ToInt32(val))
return largeInt
End Function

Ref: http://directoryprogramming.net/forums/thread/2539.aspx

--
Ryan

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Ryan,

Just performed some search and the long integer date value of
AccountExpires in AD seems convertable through the "FileTime" format of
DateTime class in .net. Here is a former thread which has discussed on this
and some additional validation will require. the code there read long int
value into DateTime, you may try the reverse way (DateTime class has both
ToFileTime and FromFileTime methods):

#Converting AD Expire Date to DateTime

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Ryan,

I'm glad that you've got a complete solution on this.

Have a nice day!