Account Unknown user

G

In my System Properties dialog box>User Profiles tab I've notice an "Account Unknown" user that's using 1015414KB as a Local user with modification date of 4/23/2003. How do I find out 'who' this is? How can I see the associated files that take up the 1015414KB space
I've looked at the list of users under Documents and Settings but I can't find an account such as "Account Unknown"
Guidelines and suggestions
TIA
Tom

G

George Hester

Account unknown is usually an indication of a folder (any) having permissions from a user that has been removed. The folder still has permissions for that user and you get what is called a SID. Anyway can you remove this user you find in the dialog box you mentioned? If you tried to apply permissions to some folder would you see this erroneous account as one of the options to assign permissions to?

G

I can remove, I presume, the Account Unknown user. I haven't actually tried THIS one but I had two others that I removed very easily. I'm just concerned over the 1015414KB of disk space since I'm unaware of what this space refers to, whether it be shared files, system files, specific files to this "Account Unknown" user or what. I really don't know 'who' this "Account Unknown" user is or what the account owns or exclusively has access to
I just need assistance to find out 'who' this user is, if possible. And/or, to find out what files WILL be removed once I delete/remove the "Account Unknown" user
Any ideas for this
TIA
Tom

G

George Hester

You need to check that this user does not have logon privledges or admin privledges before you remove it. Or you will get a SID with privledges in Local Security. You check Domain Security as well. In other words make sure that in Local Security, Domain security and Domain Controller security that no one has privledges that your are uncomfortable with. Some of these may not apply in your case just make sure in the ones that do.

Now this diskspace you mention. You are showing around 100MB. That's not really alot. My question is where is all this being taken up? Removing a profile doesn't remove anything (files) and if you are the Admin you have (full) control over most anything and if you don't you can set the permissions\ownership so that you do. But again where is all this space being used? In C:\Documents and Settings\Unknown User ???

Ask a Question