Accidently intsall wrong ODD firmware now my laptop wont boot up

Reaction score
Accidently intsall wrong CDRW/DVD Drive firmware now my laptop wont boot up

I have got a EISYSTEM 4415. Im have a lot of difficulties with it. The CDRW/DVD Drive wouldn't write to CD's so I went to samsung downloaded the only piece of software/firmware for it, I installed it and now my laptop wont even boot up. can anyone help. The actauly model of the CDRW/DVD Drive as reconised on XP is the Samsung SN-34F. The Firmware I installed was for the SN-324F.
Tel

Cel 2400
256MB
30GB

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What exactly is an ODD? I'll try to help, but I don't know what that is :)

Reaction score
boot it

Can you not get in to the BIOS and make sure 1st boot is the Hard Drive?

Reaction score
No, as soon as i power it up. The cdrw drive light flashes for a few seconds and then nothing. I can still hear the fans etc running in the mean time. A guy at Pcworld said just to use a recovery disk. The thing is if i ballsed up the cdrw drive i cant see why that would work.

Reaction score
boot up

Start up pc and open the cdrw/dvd drive, leave it open, turn pc off and then turn on and press F8 quickly a few times, this should get the pc to boot in to the BIOS. Once in the BIOS change 1st boot up to Hard Drive and make the cdrw/dvd the last one possible, exit BIOS and save any changes.

This should enable the pc to boot from the hard drive.

Reaction score
Erm its a laptop m8 innit?

Entering the BIOS on some laptops aint as easy as you would think

Reaction score
Er

well it works on mine ok like that and it's a toshiba? used & abused as my test (pc) laptop

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
What exactly is an ODD? I'll try to help, but I don't know what that is :)

LOL OMG Ian you didnt knw that? ;)

I'll admit i've never seen it abbreviated like that before lol

I'm open to all sorts of new things tho :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If that works, and you can boot up - flash the CDRW again with the firmware - make sure its the correct one from the Samsung website - and see if it works, if not you may well have irreparably damaged it and require a new one.

I would also suggest flashing it in safe-mode :thumb:

Reaction score
The worst thing about it all is that ive been building and maintaining pc's for the last 10yrs. I'm frustrated in making such a stupid nistake. but I suppose we all do time to time!

Reaction score
You very right m8. Just look at the recent threads here that a lot of us posted. I'm sure yours will be washed away in a sea simplicity in comparison ;)

Reaction score
fixit

acid_burn702 said:
The worst thing about it all is that ive been building and maintaining pc's for the last 10yrs. I'm frustrated in making such a stupid nistake. but I suppose we all do time to time!

Oh the joy's of working on your own machine, in fact what i do now is a friend mends mine and i do her's that why we try to limit the screwups:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah!!!

I managed to fix it. I removed the cdrw and reset the bios. installed the correct firmware. cheers guys

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You come with a problem and several posts later we find out you fixed it yourself. I wish all newcomers come here with the same agenda. We all at PC Review would learn a lot :D

Thank you for the feedback and welcome to PC Review ;)

Reaction score
all ok

acid_burn702 said:
I managed to fix it. I removed the cdrw and reset the bios. installed the correct firmware. cheers guys

Great to hear all is ok and as Quad say's it's great to have the feedback. Hope you continue to enjoy using pcreview and may be you to can help others, as everyones views are always welcome:thumb: ;)