professional. I also have dynamic IP address which makes
it difficult. My router assigns its own IP address to the
LAN.

Can someone tell what I need to do in order for me to see
my desktop from home?

Ankit Shah

S

Sooner Al

First you really need to setup the desktop with a static IP address on your LAN. A DHCP assigned IP
has the potential to change when you reboot your PC negating any port forwarding scheme that you
might have.

As far as access through the router from a remote location, you need to forward/open TCP Port 3389
through the router to the private LAN IP (see my first statement above) of the target XP Pro PC
running Remote Desktop. Look at your users manual for the section that deals with "Virtual Servers".
In the DI-624 manual it is on page 21. Check the D-Link support pages for additional help including
downloading a copy of the manual in case you lost yours.

Look at using one of the dynamic DNS services that map a fully qualified domain name to the ISPs
DHCP assigned IP address. Typically a small program runs on the PC and contacts the dynamic DNS
services server on a periodic basis. The IP is mapped to the name and that information is propagated
over the public internet. Call using the fully qualified domain name. I use a *FREE* service from
No-IP.com

http://www.no-ip.com

Others, some free some $$$$, are listed here...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote_Network_Home/Connections

Ask a Question