Access should allow "save as" to any drive or folder

I teach the Microsoft Office Suite of programs at the high school level using
Shelly, Cashman series. I am always amazed how weak Access is compared to
other database programs; it is the weakess within the suite. I am especially
frustrated by the fact that Access does not follow the other programs within
the suite when it comes to "Save As". It is very difficult to save an Access
file to a floopy or any other drive without going through Explorer, opening
the drive and folder, and draggging it to another drive. We want to save
student work to their server folders (H:\drive) using "Save As" but it tells
us that it is an invalid path name.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...-a949-8a7e321fb8f3&dg=microsoft.public.access

John Vinson

I teach the Microsoft Office Suite of programs at the high school level using
Shelly, Cashman series. I am always amazed how weak Access is compared to
other database programs; it is the weakess within the suite. I am especially
frustrated by the fact that Access does not follow the other programs within
the suite when it comes to "Save As". It is very difficult to save an Access
file to a floopy or any other drive without going through Explorer, opening
the drive and folder, and draggging it to another drive. We want to save
student work to their server folders (H:\drive) using "Save As" but it tells
us that it is an invalid path name.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An Access database isn't a document or a spreadsheet. It's a container
for multiple forms, queries, reports, tables and other objects.

Your situation is a bit unusual (vis a vis the typical use of Access).
All I can suggest is that you create a Windows shortcut to copy the
file to a designated drive.

John W. Vinson[MVP]

Pinal-1

Another option is to use a UNC path (ie, \\servername\sharename) rather than
the H drive letter designation. But since each student's sharename would be
different, that may not be possible (you'd have to feed it into the path as
some kind of variable possibly).

"Access "save as" needs help" <Access "save as" needs
news:[email protected]...

Arvin Meyer [MVP]

Close the database file, but leave Access open. Choose Tools ... Database
Utilities ... Comapct and Repair. Choose the file that you'd like to save,
then choose where you'd like to compact and save it to.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
Free MS-Access downloads: